Need help ASAP

Discussion in 'Geese' started by webbie56, Feb 3, 2014.

1. webbie56

webbie56 New Egg

Feb 3, 2014
    Hi all,

I hope someone can help me, we found this little guy in our yard 2 days ago we think some dumped him. It looks like he has a twisted deformed leg that looks like its already fused he also has curled toes his other leg is 100% fine I have been massaging his foot. He eats and drinks with no problem and seems to be a happy little goose the only problem being his leg and foot other then that he is fine. When he stands he hops so far with his wing out for balance then stops and starts again. I have called almost all the vets in my area and they don't know much about geese and to put it down I don't want to unless I have to my daughter has fallen in love with him and taking great care of him. We have 4 adult geese that come up to him but we cant leave him out by his self. Hoping that someone cam help me, I have put in 3 photos of him, I'm happy to try anything or make something for him.

[​IMG]

This is how he sits

[​IMG]

This is how he stands

[​IMG]

Close up of his foot and leg

2. Justins Wife

Justins Wife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2014
    Bedford
    Poor little guy! That's awesome your trying to help him!

3. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    It may be too late to fix it as it's probably atrophied. But if I were you, I'd still attempt the straighten it and splint if you're able to. Massaging the leg is a good idea. That's sad somebody would dump him like that [​IMG] He otherwise looks healthy. He's lucky to have come to your place and you're willing to help.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  4. webbie56

webbie56 New Egg

Feb 3, 2014
    I will give that a go anything it better then doing nothing, my family loves animals so we are happy to help him if we can

5. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Webbie, I have dealt with a very similar deformity. With the right vet, you can fix the baby and provide him/her a good quality of life. I should warn you, though.... it takes a lot of time, commitment and money....

My vet travels extensively around the country to do avian surgeries and knows a surprising amount of veterinarians. If you can give me your general whereabouts, I will talk to my vet and see if he knows someone to recommend in your area.

6. webbie56

webbie56 New Egg

Feb 3, 2014
    Unfortunately I don't have the money for surgeries but I do have a lot of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by