Need Help ASAP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by webbie56, Feb 3, 2014.

1. webbie56

webbie56 New Egg

Feb 3, 2014
    Hi all,

I have posted this in the goose forum as well, I hope someone can help me, we found this little guy in our yard 2 days ago we think some dumped him. It looks like he has a twisted deformed leg that looks like its already fused he also has curled toes his other leg is 100% fine I have been massaging his foot. He eats and drinks with no problem and seems to be a happy little goose the only problem being his leg and foot other then that he is fine. When he stands he hops so far with his wing out for balance then stops and starts again. I have called almost all the vets in my area and they don't know much about geese and to put it down I don't want to unless I have to my daughter has fallen in love with him and taking great care of him. We have 4 adult geese that come up to him but we cant leave him out by his self. Hoping that someone cam help me, I have put in 3 photos of him, I'm happy to try anything or make something for him.

[​IMG]

This is how he sits

[​IMG]

This is how he stands

[​IMG]

Close up of his foot and leg

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Not an expert here, but I wonder if he has a slipped tendon or perosis? First of all I would get him on some poultry vitamins since curled toes can be from vitamin deficiency. Then examine his legs for any swelling of the joints and compare them. Here is a good site for leg and foot problems: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

3. webbie56

webbie56 New Egg

Feb 3, 2014
    I will go and get some vitamins for him, I have examine his legs and compared them both he has no swelling of his leg. Thank you for the site I am going to have a read of it now

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm no expert, but I don't think that can be fixed. Can you take him to a vet?

-Kathy

5. jh1013

jh1013 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Texas
    its pretty obvious from the pics you posted that its leg has been broken at some point and if it is already healed there isnt much that can be done to help it. You could try splinting and wrapping the leg if it is a fresh fracture of the leg to help it heal correctly. also the hip is a concern bc of the way it lays its leg out at an odd angle when its laying down...if thats the case a it might have to be put down :(

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's also possible that it hatched with a deformity.

-Kathy

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Is his leg warm or cold? To check for a slipped tendon,run your thumb down back of leg from hock(where it joins body)to shank(non feathered part of leg). Press down with thumb while doing this,if it is a slipped tendon you will feel it,it feels like a loose elastic band,press down you should feel it snap back. Slipped tendon may not stay in place if it has been out for some time,in this case try wrapping tape around tendon to keep it in place. For foot,i would use a cardboard sandal/shoe,the same way you would use on a baby chick with curled toes due to spraddle leg.

I have treated this in a chicken and was successful,but the key is early treatment. Slipped tendons can be very painful. I also did stretching exercises to strengthen tendon,i gently pulled leg back(like chickens do when normally stretching).

Apparently niacin is very important for ducks,the info i found was that you can use brewers yeast just crush and sprinkle over feed.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  8. webbie56

webbie56 New Egg

Feb 3, 2014
    His leg is warm, the problem is I don't know how long his leg has been like that for if he had a broken leg it looks like its healed like that. your right about the hip when he sits but when he stands the leg is not so far out on angle. When I put him in the bath today he does use his leg a bit but he also put his right up in the air. The vet said they will have to put him down but if there is any chance to help him I would like to try that first, don't know what kind of life this goose had before I found him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by