Need Help...Babies Hatching...UPDATE and more questions.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jennyalger, Jun 16, 2008.

1. jennyalger

jennyalger Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2008
    I have a couple broodies who have been sharing their eggs. Well, today they have begun to hatch. We have one baby who is doing well...and another I'm not sure of. I went out to the coop and saw the baby laying on the floor out from underneath its mommy. Part of the shell was still attached, though easily removed. It was beginning to feel cold and was very limp, though still alive. I placed it under its mommy hoping that the warmth will bring it back. Is it hopeless? Does this baby have any chance of surviving? I'm new to all this and don't know what the natural course of events are. Are they typically that weak when first born...it would blink it's eyes, but that was about all, and it took much effort to do that. Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    They work very hard to get out of those shells, so yes they may not move much at first. If it were mine, I'd give leave it alone and let mama do her job. Congrats on the hatch!

3. jennyalger

jennyalger Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2008
    Well, chick #2 is doing well!! Yeah!! But now I have a few concerns about chick #1...it's as though it still has dried up 'stuff' of some sort all over it. Should I bring it in and bathe it? The mommy's don't seem too interested in caring for the babies, just wanting to brood the other 4 eggs that are left. Should I remove the babies and place them in our brooder with a few that we had bought? I want the mom's to raise these chicks, I think it will be a wonderful thing for our children to watch, but I also don't want to lose chicks to mommy's who just want to hatch. I know they are good to go for a few days on the yolk they absorbed, but I'm concerned that chick #1 didn't absorb it all since it has stuff all dried to it. I really appreciate all your help for a newbie like me!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by