need help baby silkie splayed leg

philntress

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
sad.png
1 of my baby silkies has a bad leg and i called a feed store and they said tape the legs togather and this only made it worse!!!! Can someone please help me i want to help the little thing but dont know how??? Thankyou

There is a post on here about using a bandaid, ( assuming this is a little chick) the width of the pad will be between the legs- think spacer. and you will use the sticky part to wrap around the leg- each leg getting one end of the band aid.. did this make scence

Oh goodness did you tape it's legs completely together? Get a band-aid, the regular normal size, and use scissors to cut it in half long ways. Then wrap the sticky parts around each leg, leaving the pad in the middle as a spacer so it can walk around normal. You are making a hobble, support for the legs so they can be held at a normal position until its legs strengthen up a bit.

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried to use a bandaid but now its leg is really splayed off to the side and i dont want to hurt it.. It is a baby chick its only 3 weeks old i just want to help it should i try it again or is there anything else to try and will it make it if nothing works?? IDK what else to do.... Is there anyone in the portland OR area who would be willing to take it and care for it properly if nothing else??? thankyou very much!!

Keep the band-aid on for a little while. AT 3 weeks old it may be hard to cure. If you know it is in pain you may need to put it to sleep, but if it is happy and eating drinking and if you are happy to have a disabled chicken then keep it! Watch that it doesn't get trampled though

Oh so sad
sad.png

We did all we could for our little lavender Silkie Percy Peepers and she did not survive the splayed leg. Turns out it was worse than splayed and actually dislocated. Sound like the advice about taping is right. Here is part of Percy Peeper's story. I did a post about taping the legs.

Also, do you have an avian vet around that might be willing to help?

Please keep us posted. I will keep the little one in my prayers.

http://www.tillysnest.com/2011/03/splayed-leg.html

Melissa

Back
Top Bottom