Need help bad with incubating eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Country11525, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Country11525

Country11525 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2014
    Last night my light bulb went out and the temp dropped down to 83 deg. For about 2 hours. I did candle my eggs that day and had 18 out of 20 showing growth. I now concerned that with the temp drop I killed the young chicks. Should I contunie with the incubation or dump this eggs and start over. It is my first hatch with quail and I am getting ready to leave for 4 days up to Maine but the hatch date is 6 days after I get back. What would you gals and guys do?w these are yor reg. jap. Quail?

2. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    I would continue with the project. One day for that many hours, may not make much of a difference. At worst I think it may delay them from hatching a day. That is what I would do.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    2 hours is not all that long for eggs to go cold. Eggs have enough mass that it probably took quite a long time during these 2 hours to actually cool off themselves. It is very common in the wild for the hen to get off her eggs if a predator is nearby.

So all this being said, your cool down period should only delay your hatch and it probably did little if any harm at all.

Will someone by around while you are gone if water needs to be added to your incubator? If I had to leave during this incubation period, I would have someone watch things to make sure the temp and humidity stay accurate.

Good luck with the hatch and keep us posted on it!! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Continue with the incubation. If the eggs are indeed viable they will hatch - 2 hours at 83 degrees should cause little to no stress.

5. Country11525

Sep 8, 2014
    Yeah a buddy of mine is going to come over and feed my quail and chickens chickens and look in on the incubator but I was worried that the eggs got to cold. Wills see if the hatch is good or not. I did replace the light bulb with a appliance light bulb to see if it will handle the cycling of on off and on and off , which is what I think blew the first bulb being a standard house hold light bulb.

6. Country11525

Sep 8, 2014
    As soon as these chicks hatch I will post some pics. The eggs look good under my home made candler. Plus I will also post some pics of my incubator that I built out of stuff from I found in the dumpsters (you won't believe the stuff I got out dumpsters). He'll my hole quail coop is built from dumpster diving.

7. Country11525

Sep 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

8. Country11525

Sep 8, 2014
    This is it before I added my quail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by