Need help before 6 am monday thanks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickmchickie, Jul 10, 2011.

1. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    My hubby ordered my chicks for me from Murry hatchery, as most of you know from my posts here.. We ordered
    NEW HAMPSHIRES Females 5.. this was the surprise chicks from hubby..
    RHODE ISLAND RED Females 10
    BLACK AUSTRALORP Females 5
    BLACK STAR Females 5

VACC Mareks's.. now i was supposed to get both vacc but in the ordering he forgot to mark for Coccidiosis..

So now i am not sure what to do.. will they be ok with out that? is there a liquid i can give at 4 days old? so i take them to the vet for it?

I did search in here about what to do i found anything that answered my questions..

can anyone help me i am worried..
    and in 2 weeks i get another 25 chicks.. araucana's from murry , and i was just reading that bloody poop is a sign of this,fluffing out like its cold and just doesn't seem the chick self.. and i can get a liquid to go into the water to treat them.. so my next question is.. not to vacc these either for Coccidiosis? cause if i see anything that looks like its sick i will add it to the water and all will drink it and the ones who did get the vacc could get toxic.. so is it best not to get that vacc on my 2nd group of chicks?

sorry for all the questions but you all are so knowledgeable and have so much info to share.n

2. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Ok so I am new at this, but from all of the reading I have done, it is my understanding that if you do not vaccinate for coccidiosis you should feed medicated chick starter. I had mine vaccinated so I should not feed medicated feed as it will counteract the vaccine. So if you did not have the first batch vaccinated then unless you are going to keep them separated and feed them different feed, you probably should just not have the second batch vaccinated either. This way you do not have to bother with two different feeds, etc. Good luck with your chicks, they are soo fun!! [​IMG]

3. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I do not vac or use medicated feed. If there is a problem I will. So far we are doing great the only deaths have been from our dog.[​IMG] and I now have had two older birds die from ?

I wouldn't stress about it. Make sure you dip everyone's beak in the water and for that first sip I make it sugar water. Good luck! The chicken adventure that we are on has been fun and we are loving our birds!

4. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    Quote:my babies are vacc just not with Corr vacc so i cant feed the med feed.. of any kind to them..

5. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    With a 2 weeks difference in age, you should probably keep them separate for a while anyway.

You can feed medicated feed to Marek's vacc chicks. I did it last year with no problems (and no sign of cocci when they went on regular food).

I'm not clear on the vaccs on the araucanas (EE's). Are they having both vaccines? I didn't even know there was a Cocci vaccine. Maybe you could cancel the vaccs for cocci (but keep the one for Marek's) on the second batch? At least they would all be on the same feed when you put them together in a few weeks.

I have used medicated feed for both of my groups of chickens. The older ones are a year old tomorrow, and the young ones are 10 weeks old this week. I'm hoping to combine the flocks when they get to be 12-16 weeks old while they are free-ranging and then in the same coop when they get to be full sized.

I'm sure it will be fine. Don't panic, there is lots of conflicting advice about coccidiosis vaccine and medicated feed. Some of your decision will depend on where you live and whether cocci are a problem in your area. Good luck with the chicks - they are really a lot of fun (and a lot more work than I thought they would be).

6. chicktwins

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    everything I have read says if coccidiosis vaccinated do not feed medicated starter. As I said before, I am new to chickens. I did lots of research before having them (months) and I read lots about it, everything said the same thing.......If vaccinating for coccidiosis, not to feed a medicated starter because it will nullify the vaccine.
    I just went on the Murray McMurray website and this is what I found:

What is Coccidiosis and how do I control the disease?
    Keeping small poultry flocks healthy and productive requires skilled husbandry practices. We are now offering a coccidiosis vaccine to help you manage your flock. Coccidia are common protozoan parasites. They are present in almost all chicken yards and can lay dormant for years until chickens are introduced. Heavy infections of coccidia cause serious disease and may kill many chickens. Chickens of all ages can come down with coccidiosis, but 4- to 16-week-old chickens are most commonly affected. Wet litter, poor nutrition and concurrent diseases are the most common triggers of coccidiosis. We do vaccinations here at the hatchery, because it is best to vaccinate chicks at 1-3 days of age. A successful vaccination will provide long-lasting immunity.
    PLEASE READ: To reduce the threat of coccidiosis you should either: 1) Have us vaccinate your birds and not use medicated feed. OR 2) Use a medicated feed containing a coccidiostat. ORGANIC GROWERS: Vaccinations are in compliance with the NOP/USDA organic standards. You should verify with your certifying agency before having us vaccinate your chicks.

7. chicktwins

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    the Marek's vaccine has no bearing on feeding medicated vs. non medicated feed.....only coccidiosis vaccine

8. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    Quote:yeah i know about not feeding medicated feed to vacc chicks, that is why i have non medicated feed, and that is why i am worried about the Corr, and since they are not vacc now for corr, from what i understand it will be ok to do with with just the Mareks vacc...

yeah i am not putting them together till they are older..

like i said in a past post.. this chicken coop i am using was here when i moved in, i cleaned it all up but who knows what they had in there or who knows how well they took care of their chickens and the parasites lay dormant.. but i also forgot that they are in my basement for 4 -6 weeks so i will have enough time to get that stuff and have it on hand just in case.. i am such a worry wort here, i am thinking the worst and they dont get it will 6 am. you know i wont even sleep.. i keep going down stairs making sure the light said 95 under it.. i washed the water and feeders 2 times now.. i am a basket case and they are not here yet... i am also a baby cause at one point i was crying cause my hubby didn't get the corr vacc.. .. is everyone else like this too when they get chicks?

9. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    ok so i can use medicated feed .. now to find some place who has it, they place where i got mine wont carry it again till spring.. so i was told flock grow.. is that medicated?

10. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    2 more hours before chick pick up.. cant sleep lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by