need help breaking broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GrayAcres, May 14, 2010.

1. GrayAcres

GrayAcres Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    I have a hen who has been broody for over a month now. There are no roosters so there will be no chicks and we collect eggs everyday. All of the hens lay in the area and when they lay she takes their eggs. We force her off the nest 2x a day and she eats/drinks well. Her poops are good, firm, and big. My concern is she may be getting sick. Her comb now lays over and she is constantly hot (well, has been since broodiness set in). Weight seems okay so far.
    We have had others do this, but none for so long. Can anyone tell me what to do?
    Thanks!

GREAT suggestions. Thanks for the help. I put ice under her this morning and opened up the top of the nest so it isn't so comfy. Tonight I'll move her inside a wire cage. I am WAY over her mood. I need eggs!!

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    if yu have someplace else ot move her for the night then do that. a change of venue may help. if not get a couple of good eggs and put them under her.
    try the ice cube method put those under her.
    take her out of the nest and slap her around a little.
    put a picture of Phyliss Diller in the nest box.
    if you got a teenager put her in their room, nothing cures the urge to have kids like time spent with teenagers.
    ok some are better solutions than others but i'm not in a good mood. nothing serious did'nt sleep good.
    bring her into the house for the night. if you've got a cat or dog that may upset her enough to throw her out of the mood. course she may not lay for awhile.

3. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    You need to put her in a wire bottom cage where she can't sit on a nest. Her body Temp has to be brought down in order to break her. This may take 3 or 4 days to break her. If she has been at this a month already she is bound to have lost some weight & seems very determined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by