Need help...broody hen moved AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ga*chick*, May 13, 2009.

1. ga*chick*

ga*chick* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Ga
    I have set up my old rabbit hutch to move the hen . I put a low sided trough in there and put some wood chips in it. I also have a tarp over the hutch since it only has one solid side. I'm going to get my DD to help me move the hen and eggs tonight. I really don't know if anything will hatch..went in today and she was in the right nest box and one of my easter eggers was sitting in the box she was in. So I once again moved them under her. She purred at me and let me scoot them under her.
    Wish me luck..She is driving me crazy, but I really would love for her to have some "babies"[​IMG]

Margaret

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

ga*chick* :

I have set up my old rabbit hutch to move the hen . I put a low sided trough in there and put some wood chips in it. I also have a tarp over the hutch since it only has one solid side. I'm going to get my DD to help me move the hen and eggs tonight. I really don't know if anything will hatch..went in today and she was in the right nest box and one of my easter eggers was sitting in the box she was in. So I once again moved them under her. She purred at me and let me scoot them under her.
    Wish me luck..She is driving me crazy, but I really would love for her to have some "babies"[​IMG]

Margaret

Is there any way for you to seperate her in an enclosed cage? That would stop her moving. Seems like she can't make up her mind!​

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    She is not the one moving. It's your other hens pushing her out of her spot. They know she has a good spot and they want their eggs in there too. She needs to be totally separate from your others if possible, or this will keep happening.

4. ga*chick*

Apr 28, 2009
    Ga
    will be moving her tonight. Have my 13 yr old enlisted to help...will update later.

5. ga*chick*

Apr 28, 2009
    Ga
    Okay I just moved my RR into her new "home" She took it well. Let me remove the eggs out from under her.. there were 8.. I candled them while I had the chance...2 were completly dark, and 2 had dark masses. The other four were clear, but I'm going to toss them..seeing how this is the first time I've ever candled an egg. She took to the new nest fine, cooed at me and settles right in. Will check on her in the am. Hopefully with all the nest hopping something will hatch.

Thanks for your help,

6. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    The dark eggs have embryos inside. That some are only partially dark is worrisome though. This could mean that she started incubating those ones later than the ones that are totally dark. If they don't all hatch at once, she might abandon those last stragglers. Depending on how long she's been broody already, you might think about giving her a whole new lot of eggs, 8 brand new ones. Then you will get a good hatch , all at the same time. This is up to you though, since you will be disposing of little chickies that could hatch eventually.

7. ga*chick*

Apr 28, 2009
    Ga
    That seems almost heartless..I did realize that the other were "started" later...I'll wait and see. Will all the box hopping I don't know how they are going to turn out. Something should happen no later then the 18th...if no chicks then, I may just put other eggs under her.

How long can you hold fertiled eggs for before setting them under her?

8. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Fertile eggs stored at room temp or a little cooler will be good for a week, but the sooner the better. Eggs that are totally dark inside should be pretty near to hatching. Keep them going! I had a straggler once that the hen abandoned after all the others hatched. So I kept it warm til it hatched, then gave it back to her. She took it no problem. AND it ended up being the only hen out of the 6 total. And now she has 4 chicks of her own running around!

Last edited: May 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by