Need help! Building Breeding Pens.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Silkiehen, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Silkiehen

Silkiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    Ok, I need help on how the breeding pens should be set up! I will be breeding Silkies and Mille Fleur D'Uccles. I am wanting 3 breeding pens and a nursery. The nursery for the baby chicks is almost ready and has a 10x10 run! If you post pictures of what you have, that would be great!
    Questions I need answered:
    1. How big should the run be?
    2. Bedding for coop and run?
    3. How the fence looks?(If that makes sense)
    4. Roosts?
    5. And any tips that would be helpful!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

How many birds are you keeping in the breeding pens? Bantams do not require a lot of space, but I would give them more run space than the minimum, a lot more.

3. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    You know how it goes, stsrt with few ened up with many! About 20 of each. No more than that... hopefully!

4. Free Feather

A 6 by 8 or larger coop for each pen, and at least a 30 by 20 run for each. I would use tree branches or 2 by 2's for the roosts. I have both same level roosts and ladder types, and I prefer different heights. If you have a lot of birds for that coop size, you might need a dropping board. I use leaves, dried grass clippings, hay, straw, and garden plants for bedding. I like deep litter in the house, and the run. I put used bedding in the run every few days or every week to keep it deep for scratching and to keep things dry because the run is not covered. I do not clean out the run. This is especially good for in the winter.
    How does that sound?

5. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    Sounds good! How high should the roost be? I just game my other chickens a swimming pool ladder. Also what do I feed breeding chickens? My others free range on 30+ acres so I dont feed them.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  6. Free Feather

Since they are bantams, they can typically get up on higher roosts because they fly well. I say maybe four foot up, any higher you should have nests or something around they can hop up onto to make it easier in case. They make special breeding mashes, with sunflowers and other healthy stuff to keep their feathers and such nice. I have never used it. I think you could also use game bird feed, or just plain grower. If they have too much protein their crap will be runnier and yellow. I am not an expert on breeding though. Give calcium on the side because of the boys, and so they can choose how much they want.

7. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    Sorry to bombard you with questions but earlier this year I had a broody. Chick had pipped in the morning came home and ants were in the shell and the hen abandoned them. I tried to save it but it was to late. How can i have keep ants away? They are a huge problem here.

8. Free Feather

Oh, that is disturbing. I am sorry you had to deal with that. I could only think to have her where ants could not get in, like an aquarium...?
    Okay, that sounds nearly impossible. I really do not know. Sorry.

9. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    Had her in a rabbit hutch and the ants crawled up the leg of the hutch. Only got 3 of 18. It was terrible. Thank
    you for helping me, it means alot! Im sure i will have a bunch more!

10. ChickaLong

ChickaLong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2013
    Southern California
    I read on "getting the flock put of here" (I think) that Oz puts the legs in a container and fills it with water to keep ants out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by