Need help call duck eggs under chicken due today

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sandracollins, May 2, 2011.

1. sandracollins

sandracollins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    I have 15 call duck eggs under my B.O. today is day 26 ,I have 3 internal pips one nearly 20 hours now when should I make a hole in the shell ??????? I have read so much about how hard they are to hatch that I am terrified they will die in the shell all 15 are alive,I only read today that I should have misted them everyday ,I misted them this morning to try and keep the humidity up but it is very hard to keep checking them when they are under a broody chicken .Any advice out there ???????

2. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    I've never hatched anything before but here is a bump so that maybe you can get some help from the experts. Good luck with the babies!!!

3. sandracollins

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    help anyone the time is passing and I am not sure what to do

4. afeatherfan

afeatherfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    wv
    You mite want to watch the hen dont mash them, That is what happen to my eggs just when they started to hatch .
    I had a standard cochin setting on mine and lost all 9 .I tryed to watch for that but sh** happens and I wasnt
    out there at the right time.But mother nature is the best wat to go with calls.

5. sandracollins

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    I made a small hole in the air sac end of 2 eggs last night ,they had both pipped the air sac for over 24 hours,I left them under the hen until this morning and I then made the hole bigger nearly half way down the egg.They are both peeping at me but the membrane was very dry so I wet it with some water ,I will wait a few more hours before I do any more,

6. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    Maybe the experts will have a better idea, but can you mist the eggs with warm water when you check on them?
    I doubt it would bother the hen, and when she settles back on them it might help to increase the humidity for a few hours.
    Good Luck. It must be nerve wracking for you and the BO.

7. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    How are they doing this morning? is everyone okay and more importantly are you okay?

8. sandracollins

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    I checked on the ducklings at lunch time and there was not much progress so I made the hole bigger and wet the membrane a bit ,I eased the head out and all the yolk was absorbed so I brought them into the house and have them under the heat lamp.I didnt want to leave them with the hen because she has 13 more to go and some are 2 days later than the rest.There were 5 more that were externally pipped so I made the hole a bit bigger and wet the membrane a bit ,it was very dry. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] for the rest ,how do I know if they are too hot under the lamp,what temp should it be

9. sandracollins

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    Update 3 ducklings in the house under heat lamp 9 more pipped and I made the hole bigger some are half out of the shell but the yolk is not fully absorbed so I left them under mum untill tomorrow

10. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by