1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help candling dark eggs.

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by themenagerie, Mar 25, 2015.

1. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    First time hatching in an incubator. I have a Hovabator 1632 and everything seems to be going great, have had no temperature issues, humidity is good. I set 40 eggs, mostly Marans, Welsummer or Olive Eggers, though there are a couple light brown eggs. Today was the 6th day and I thought I'd candle.. . I bought a small flashlight with 230 lumens, and I can't see a darn thing in anything but the light brown eggs. One of those 2 definitely has a developing embryo. I have 3 roosters to probably 40 hens, so I know that my fertility might be low..but I can't believe that almost all of them could be infertile. Anyone have any helpful hints on how to candle dark eggs? Thanks in advance!

2. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    at 6 days in a dark egg the veins may be visible, but only barely. 10 days gives a better view in dark or thick shelled eggs.

Likewise by day 18 it's difficult to see a thing.

3. WalnutHill

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    And make sure you are candling in a completely dark room...

4. themenagerie

Jun 8, 2011
    Thank you Walnut Hill... I've taken them into a closet to candle them and still can't see anything. I think I'm going to try again at day 14. I just hope if I do have any bad eggs that they don't explode in the incubator.

5. WalnutHill

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I have some VERY dark olive eggs, Ameraucana over BCM, and those are the only ones I can't see through when candling with a mini flashlight or my cell phone flash. Are you candling from the big end?

6. themenagerie

Jun 8, 2011
    I'm trying all ways! lol I can see the air cell, but can't see any veining, on some I believe I see an embryo, but no dark spot for the eye. Is that the best I'll be able to see?

I also have some dark olive Ameracauna/BCM eggs..so I'll just accept I'll have to wait to be surprised/disappointed on those.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  7. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    Same boat here, I have some BCM, olive, and green/blue eggs in the incubator...surprisingly the olive and blue/green ones are the hardest. The BCM are dark but not as impenetrable? as the EE's. I've just accepted it as a gamble at this point lol. I tried using a flashlight, the phone, and my actual egg candling light all at the same time and still can't get through.

8. themenagerie

Jun 8, 2011
    I also had the hardest time with the olive ones and green, as opposed to the BCM, Wellies and blues. If I could see any separation of dark and light, I left them in. Lock down is Monday. We'll see what happens.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by