Need Help Can't tell if the vent has dried poop or umbillical cord

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Knight Coop, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Knight Coop

Knight Coop Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2014
    Houston, Texas area
    The chick is 3 days old, we received her yesterday. We washed her butt and she did poop slightly. We don't know if that is the umbilical cord or we should scrub harder to get that off? She was the lone survivor of the trip so we have no other chicks to compare her to. Please help. I've included a photo. She's a silkie bantam.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'll guess it is her vent, from the feet and the poop. You probably wouldn't notice the umbilicus if it healed normally -- and they usually do.

If her poop is as wet as it looks in that pic, you don't need to clean it. It's dried poop that blocks the vent that is dangerous.

Sorry you lost the others.

Be sure it has ample clean water -- that may take some close management at first. And be sure it isn't too hot. Give her something to substitute for a buddy. A small stuffed animal, a feather duster, even a rolled up old sock.

If there is any way you can get a couple more chicks (of any breed) or can find her another home with chicks, she would be better off with companions.

3. Knight Coop

Knight Coop Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2014
    Houston, Texas area
    Thanks for the response. I did see her poop a while ago so I guess it's not blocking her vent.
    And, yes, we are going today after I get my daughter from school to get 2 more chicks. A guy has some 1 and 2 week old chicks. I just hope they get along? She doesn't peep much. Too busy falling asleep, but she does have good energy when she's not sleeping.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Generally, you can mix them without difficulty while all are under 3 or 4 weeks old. Of course, I'd supervise anyway. Give them some extra space and some distraction to help ease the transition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by