1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help catching a duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dill, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    An adorable little female muscovy duck flew into our pond today. She's pretty friendly and will come when I call her and eats just a couple feet away from me. I've been tryin to catch her but she gets wary and gets into the pond when I get close. I need to catch her though because I want to keep her and if I don't she's going to get killed. One of my outdoor cats has already tried to attack her several times and if I hadn't been there she might've hurt her (and now after seeing her do that, I have to wonder whether it was her that hurt Dill), not to mention that she's bound to wander up in the neighbor's yard and get killed by their dogs at any time now and it's now night so she might get killed by raccoons and foxes...

I have a net I could use but I'm afraid she might fly away if I try to catch her with it. And if she flies away I might never see her again
    I have enough trouble catching my pekins that can't fly, I have no idea how I'll catch her.

2. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Well, I caught my neighbors guinneas in a live trap before, didn't mean to though... Yall could try that maybe!

3. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    Oh yeah I didn't think of that! Thanks. I'll try it, i have a live trap thats big enough for a raccoon, it should fit her.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have a long handled fishing dip net that works pretty good.

5. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I just dive and pray [​IMG]

6. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    ahh [​IMG] the trap in buried in the attic or garage somewhere, so I cant use that.

Dive and pray... might try that

7. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:[​IMG] Sorry, but I have no actual approach to trying to catch my 2 ducks. I can't even catch them if they are cornered. I could imagine if they were out in the open. The trap is probably your best bet. [​IMG]

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If she is friendly, she is likely someone's pet. Maybe you should put up posters that you found a friendly duck.

9. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    ^ Yeah, I thought of that. I'll look out for any posters or online ads I see about a missing duck. But, I don't want her going back to where she used to live if they let her fly away all the time.. she's sure to get killed at some point if that's the case and since we have a lot of hawks in our area and she's small.....

I hope I can catch her and keep her [​IMG]

I heard of this method to catch her. Where you trip them soemhow (using a stick or just putting things around that she's likely to trip on) and then lunge and grab. Think it'll work?

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Ducks legs are much more prone to injury than a chickens so I wouldn't want to be tripping them up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by