1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help changing ordinance

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by PaulaBlanch, Feb 13, 2013.

1. PaulaBlanch

PaulaBlanch New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    Our city of Midland, Michigan does not allow back yard chickens. I am interested in getting a petition together to get that changed. Does anyone here have experience with that? If you are from Midland, Michigan, and are interested in raising or are in support of backyard chickens please visit my Face Book page: Midland Back Yard Chickens. Thanks!

2. drewva

drewva Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    Sonoma
  3. PaulaBlanch

PaulaBlanch New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    Thanks for the link to the artice. I'm still confused as to why the city ordinance even has to be changed if the RTFA covers backyard coops in town so long as you follow the sanitation rules and intent to sell. I am considering getting a couple of chickens this spring without their "permission", having my documentation ready and letting the chips fall where they may. Maybe if all of us Midlanders just did than and presented a united front they would leave us alone! I drives me crazy that Midland allows potbellied pigs, but not chickens. UGG!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by