Need help! Chick can't move leg! What do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stinkysneakers, Aug 23, 2014.

1. stinkysneakers

stinkysneakers Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    I had to do an assisted hatch on an Easter Egger chick just now. The poor dear had zipped about a third of the way round and had been pushing and pushing and struggling and crying since this time yesterday. The shell was cracked in such a weird way that he/she couldn't get free. Now that he/she is out I can see why. One leg, the right one, is totally folded under the chick's body and he/she can't move it or use it at all. I can't detect any swelling or obvious deformity and the other leg seems fine. He/she is very vocal and is pushing itself around the incubator floor in circles trying to stand and repeatedly tripping over the bum leg. What causes this? What can I do? Have any of you ever seen or heard of this before? I'll post a video if I can in a little while. Please help!

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    She holds it next to her body? Video would help.....
    Do you think it might be stuck to her? Have you been able to hold her and check it out?

3. stinkysneakers

May 1, 2014
    I'm having an awful time trying to post video, but it seems that she's not holding it there. It's like she can't move it at all. When I pick her up I can move it freely and doing so doesn't seem to cause her any pain. Right now I have her moved to the brooder a medium distance from the heat lamp with her legs splinted into a more normal position by a q-tip stick and clear tape. She has her legs dangling into a tissue box so that she can't put weight on them and squish the leg back underneath herself. I'm going to leave her there overnight and see if I can't take her off the box to hobble around in the morning and try to strengthen her splinted legs. I have a couple more babies I'm leaving in the bator tonight with chick sandals on so that they can get the hang of their legs without getting trampled by the other more mobile chicks. I'm going to TSC first thing to pick up some polyvisol for my babies with leg problems. I'm told things like splayed legs and curly toes can be caused by vitamin deficiencies in the mother, providing less than ideal yolk nutrition for the chick.

4. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Sounds like your doing the best you can. Wish you luck with your precious babies!

5. stinkysneakers

May 1, 2014
    Thank you! As a first time chicken mama, I'm trying to go by the book (the book being BYC articles and advice from seasoned users). If you know of anyone else who might have some insight for me, send them my way!

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have done a little hatching, but don't have tremendous knowledge about problems. Maybe if you post on this thread you will get more help:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/5

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by