Need help! Chick injured by hen, chest swollen, white clear liquid poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bocktobery 10, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Hi,

Need some help! I have a three day old chick (Easter Egger) that was attacked by another hen this morning. I don't know exactly what happened, but I found her in an egg box (with another hen in it as well) , which means she was either carried into it or thrown in. She looked dead when I saw her laying in there, but when I picked her up I saw that she was alive. She looked fine at first, having had no blood anywhere, but a more careful observation showed that she is not well: She is not eating, and not walking around. She is standing mostly now, but in one place with her eyes closed. She seems interested in napping all the time. I also noticed when she poo'ed after this event, it had the normal light brown fecal matter surrounded by white and clear liquid. Now, about 10 hours later I notice that she seems swollen in her chest, right side. I felt around the chest area where the swelling is and she closed her eyes immediately. I also noticed twice after picking her up she would close her eyes, lift her head, open her beak and pant for a bit. I can tell she is in pain. She shivers as well.. or shakes.. quivers would be a better word. I'm assuming that whatever happened to her this morning gave her some sort of trauma internally. She has no wounds or cuts, scrapes,... nothing but the bump on her chest which is squishy. It was not like that this morning from what I remembered. I was going to try and cut it open, thinking, this chick will die if I don't do something, however, I'm pretty sure she'd die from that as well since I don't know what I am doing! I did notice her this evening seeming to try to eat, but it might just mean her situation is starting to get critical as I don't expect that she has eaten enough all day. The swelling, it seems, is inside the muscle tissue and not an air sac.

Just trying to give her a chance.

Does anyone know what this could be (if perchance this is not from any injury caused by a hen) or how I should go about trying to treat it?

I have removed the mother and the chicks to their own room.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    The right side of their chest is their crop...maybe something is bruised inside. I have no idea, just make sure she's eating and drinking, maybe an expert will come on here and help.

3. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    So sorry about your chick! I had one that was injured by another hen also, but it was a bloody gash on the chest. I separated mama and baby (there was only one) from the flock, and he fully recovered.

I would offer the chick some scrambled egg (if you can get it to eat), and maybe some vitamin/electrolyte water. If she has a serious internal injury, perhaps she won't make it, but I'm not sure what else you can do. Chicks are in some ways very delicate, but I've also been surprised by their toughness.

Good luck to you. [​IMG]

4. Bocktobery 10

Oct 8, 2010
    Thanks buckabucka and WooingWyandotte. I appreciate the help. I can't do anything as of now since it is dark out, but if the chick survives the evening, I'll try and administer some Pedialyte and scrambled egg in the morning.

Just hoping she will pull through. Thanks again for the help.

5. How are things today?

6. thewobsers

thewobsers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    near toledo ohio
    Wow, sorry to hear about the little chickie. Hope it will be back to normal soon.
    You know, recently one of my hens about 1 1/2 years old grew a bulge on her front chest... its so big and when i feel it, it feels like it is full of air... she eats and walks around normal and even lays eggs but she sleeps at night where something will prop her bulge up for her and now her coloring has changed--- comb looks more purpley, i wondered what is causing it- do i massage the bulge or pop it or what ???? it is the whole front of her chest now.
    Or will it go away eventually? WOndered if this has ever happened to anyone elses chickens.

7. Quote:You might think about posting your own thread- you'll probably get a lot more responses that way. Hope things work out!

8. Bocktobery 10

Oct 8, 2010
    HI, just wanted to update that the chick is fine now. It took a few days (maybe two) to fully recover but it is up and about with the other chicks, fully active now. Wow, that was a scare. So thankful its ok. As far as the bulge on the chest goes, I don't really know what that was.. maybe just the crop, or maybe that was where the injury was? It was hurt somehow, that was obvious, but now it seems to have recovered fully. It is a bit smaller than the others, but then again hatched about 12 hours later than the others. I'll continue to keep my eye on it

Thanks everyone with all the help and replies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by