Need help - chick with poop on vent

FC16

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK 🇬🇧
I need urgent help as I’m not sure if this is dangerous for the chick or not, I have a chick with dried poop on her vent. I’m not sure how long it’s been there but when I try to pull it off to clean her it hurts her and won’t come off. I don’t want to seriously hurt her, what should I do? I’m guessing it will block her from pooping which will be dangerous.

Yes, keep us posted please!

You can also run the butt in some warm (not hot) water to soften the poop, and it will slowly come off. Then take the damp rag/cloth to start gently rubbing it off. She might poop a whole lot when the poop comes off, and that's normal. It's because of the build up and blockage of her system where she can't excrete waste. Just wait for her to stop pooping, then put her back in with the other chicks.

It's a silkie, right? I love silkies!
Yes it’s a Silkie, first time having them and have 5 al different colours. They are cool chicks.

I managed to remove the poop by running under luke warm water, and then using a cotton pad to help. Was surprised because as gross as it sounds, it was an incredibly long piece of poop that came out. Her vent must have been very blocked up.

She didn’t show any signs of being ill and was eating and drinking normally, I’m glad it’s off now and will see how she is doing in the morning.

Thankyou again for your advice 😃

I need urgent help as I’m not sure if this is dangerous for the chick or not, I have a chick with dried poop on her vent. I’m not sure how long it’s been there but when I try to pull it off to clean her it hurts her and won’t come off. I don’t want to seriously hurt her, what should I do? I’m guessing it will block her from pooping which will be dangerous.
Yes, this is pasty butt, which is pretty dangerous if you don't do anything.

Please post pictures of the chick.

Do NOT try to pull away the dry poop. Get a warm, damp rag and start soaking her vent, to try to soften the poop. You have to slowly rub at it, very gently, to try to get all of the poop off. Repeat process until poop is all off. It is very dangerous if the poop stays on, she could get sick and will most likely die.

Good luck!

Yes it’s a Silkie, first time having them and have 5 al different colours. They are cool chicks.

I managed to remove the poop by running under luke warm water, and then using a cotton pad to help. Was surprised because as gross as it sounds, it was an incredibly long piece of poop that came out. Her vent must have been very blocked up.

She didn’t show any signs of being ill and was eating and drinking normally, I’m glad it’s off now and will see how she is doing in the morning.

Thankyou again for your advice 😃
Now that you have it clean you can take a Q-tip or something and put a little olive oil or vegetable oil on and around vent to help to keep poo from sticking. And keep an eye on that chick and others for a few days as you may have to repeat for a few days, but hopefully not.

Thanks for you reply
View attachment 2918658Here is what it looks like, it doesn’t look dry put it isn’t pulled of easily and she sounds in pain when I try to get it off

I will do what you said now and update how it went, thanks.
Yes, keep us posted please!

You can also run the butt in some warm (not hot) water to soften the poop, and it will slowly come off. Then take the damp rag/cloth to start gently rubbing it off. She might poop a whole lot when the poop comes off, and that's normal. It's because of the build up and blockage of her system where she can't excrete waste. Just wait for her to stop pooping, then put her back in with the other chicks.

It's a silkie, right? I love silkies!

Yes they are! I love silkies! Especially when you have different colors! What colors do you have? I'm guessing the one pictured is partridge or buff?

Yes, that happens. It's a good thing that she cleared out what she needed to.

So happy to hear that!
Keep us posted with pictures please! And pictures of the other chicks :love !
Yeah the one pictured is partridge I’m pretty sure, I haven’t got pictures of all of them but I have Black, White, Ginger, Partridge and a patterned sort of White/Grey/Black one (it looks really cool)

Attachments

• 66D13949-EE5B-460A-B6E4-FBFC8869E001.jpeg
    66D13949-EE5B-460A-B6E4-FBFC8869E001.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 674DAF4C-B963-4DCA-A4EA-7969981A405E.jpeg
    674DAF4C-B963-4DCA-A4EA-7969981A405E.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 5695CF2A-842B-4BF4-B09C-997C175F3DDD.jpeg
    5695CF2A-842B-4BF4-B09C-997C175F3DDD.jpeg
    388.1 KB · Views: 7
Yes, this is pasty butt, which is pretty dangerous if you don't do anything.

Please post pictures of the chick.

Get a warm, damp rag and start soaking her vent, to try to soften the poop. You have to slowly rub at it, very gently, to try to get all of the poop off. Repeat process until poop is all off. It is very dangerous if the poop stays on, she could get sick and will most likely die.

Good luck!
@FlynnCahill, here is a pretty good article I found on pasty butt:
https://www.purinamills.com/chicken.../pasty-butt-sick-baby-chick-symptoms-and-care

Back
Top Bottom