Need help!! Chicken poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cohl0406, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Cohl0406

Cohl0406 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    Suddenly one or 2 of my girls have very watery dropping that look like they came out pretty forcefully from the spatter they also range in color from a greenish one that happened twice to the most recent one that was yellow and kind of chunky.. There is also A LOT. They act the same except they have completely stopped eating the lay pellets they once ate with no problem and only eat the mill worms scratch grain and corn chops. We have natural shale in the ground here and I have been raking the garden more(things died off in the cold so they dust bath in the softer dirt anyway) but I turn it up for them to munch on if they so choose. Anyway one of my hens had been laying an egg a day and has not for the last 3 days. The other 2 are still laying every day to every other day. They just started laying early December. I know the one isn't laying because she's a cuckoo Maran while the others are buff orpingtons so the egg color is drastic. Anyway any idea about the poop. I have seriously debated taking a picture and posting it but thought it might be a little too far. Although I certainly will if it will help someone help me. I don't even know where a vet would be that would see a chicken in my area. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm so sorry for the tmi but I'm worried. First time raising chickens.

2. Cohl0406

May 29, 2014
    Let me add she seems to be drinking more than the other 2 and tonight after I gave her a warm bath and a nice long blow dry on a low setting which she seemed to really enjoy because she opened her wings son and leaned against the wall lol. She also stretched her neck and opened her mouth. Best way to describe is like a choking look. Or like a rooster crowing but no noise? She is vocal as always and even got really loud while getting blow dried. But button is not messy despite the crazy poop. Maybe she's not the culprit of the poop?

3. Cohl0406

May 29, 2014
    Same thing today. Really need advice. I've started calling vets but none will see chickens.

4. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Does it look anything like this:

[​IMG]

What you are describing sounds a lot like clostridium perfringens - an infection in the intestines also known as 'gas gangrene'. Poop contains lots of undigested food / grains, and is often expelled quite violently with a lot of accompanied gas.
    It can be caused by eating mouldy food (especially if your girls free range and could have found something hidden somewhere), or by food that has become partially blocked in the intestine and has started to go off (which I think was the case with my girl, who I had been feeding raw meat scraps to - I don't do it any more!).

It is relatively easy to treat with antibiotics (I used amoxycillin).

Have a look at these links:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/613918/undigested-food-in-droppings-update-on-page-3/40

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...r-posts-on-byc-a-public-thank-you-to-nambroth

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...verview_of_necrotic_enteritis_in_poultry.html (quite a technical article)

Let us know how your girl is - if you need help with working out antibiotic doses or anything else just ask [​IMG] All the best for you and your girl;

5. Cohl0406

May 29, 2014
    Yes! And sometimes a little more white. The last time it looked like she just ate corn chips so it was more yellow. They regularly eat grass. She is eating fine except not eating the lay pellets and drinking. She still hasn't laid en egg but Im not sure if it's because it got cold again here in texas the weather flucuates between 40 degrees and then 80 the next day. Where would I even start to get medicine like that for her? Our feed stores won't carry them anymore like they used too.

6. Cohl0406

May 29, 2014
    And I just remembered I had to go dump out my kids swimming pool that was holding gross free water after the recent rains. I'm positive they drank from that nastiness. Could be the culprit.

7. KayTee

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    If you can't get a vet to prescribe you antibiotics and you the local feed store doesn't have anything then you can always use something that the doctor prescribed for you or your family, if you have anything left over in the medicine cabinet. All you need to do is post the name of the antibiotics you've got, if they're capsules or tablets, and what dosage they are, and we can help you work out how much to give your girls.

As a last resort I'm sure you could buy something online, but it would take time, and you really want to start giving them antibiotics as soon as possible.

PS - If your girls are sick like this then don't expect eggs for a while - sick chickens normally stop laying as their body fights the illness.

8. Cohl0406

May 29, 2014
    I noticed last night no splattered poop but I do have amoxicillin capsules from when I had my wisdom teeth removed. The other 2 are laying eggs every other day as usual. Still nothing from "Big Momma" the Hen in question. She wouldn't be egg bound right? She still runs around scratches around for food eats and drinks fine.

I know chickens can can suddenly get very sick and die. Now it's the weekend so my vet search is on hold until Monday.

9. KayTee

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    If she was egg bound she would start looking very sick very quickly, and wouldn't improve on her own.

Is she acting sick in any way, (hunched, separated from the others, sleepy or lethargic etc) or was it just the poop that worried you? If you are certain that her poop is back to normal and that she is acting ok then I wouldn't start the antibiotics - it is not good to give them unless you are certain that they are necessary. However, I would keep hold of them - you never know when they may come in useful for treating your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by