Need help chickens dying!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Russman, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Russman

Russman New Egg

Jul 16, 2013
    Alabama
    Over the last week i have lost give chickens. I have noticed snot coming from their nostrils, kind of a cough or sneeze, sometimes the snot is bloody , eyes swelling shut and kids stuck together, very lethargic. Many show no signs of illness but at least 25 have. The onset from sick to death is rapid and only takes about 24-36 hours. I hope I have done the right thing by giving them penicillin, worming them with ivomec, etc here's a pic if what I found this morning. This chick was fine yesterday![​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

2. Russman

Russman New Egg

Jul 16, 2013
    Alabama
    sorry its supposed to say i've lost 5 chickens and their eyelids are stuck together.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like your birds could have Infectious Laryangotracheitis (sorry if I didn't spell that right), which is a viral respiratory disease of birds. It is characterized by coughing (sometimes coughing up bloody mucus), swollen sinuses, watery eyes, choking, gasping, sneezing, lethargy, and in severe cases, death. Unfortunately, there is no treatment for Laryangotracheitis; affected birds may recover, but many will die. I am very sorry if I am correct in my diagnosis. [​IMG]

It is possible that I am wrong, though I can't think of any other respiratory disease that causes bloody nasal discharge and such sudden death. If you want, you could purchase Tylan50 or Tylan200, which are both strong antibiotics used in treating respiratory diseases. You can usually find Tylan at a livestock supply store. It comes in an injectable form, and in a powdered water soluble form. The injectable form works faster, but if the powdered form is the only one available, it will work, too.

The Tylan50 injectable dosage is 1cc for large-fowl, .5ccs for bantams, injected into one side of the breast once daily for 5 days. The Tylan200 injectable dosage is .5ccs for large-fowl, .1-.3ccs for bantams, injected into one side of the breast once daily for 3-4 days. When injecting Tylan, alternate the side of the breast that you inject into, and use a small gauge needle, as Tylan can make the injection area sore. Depending on the age of your chickens (they look young in the photos), I would adjust the recommended dosages slightly because they are meant for mature chickens.

I don't know the powdered Tylan50 or 200 dosage, as I've never used it, but if you search around on the Backyard Chickens website, you should be able to find it. During Tylan treatment, do not give probiotics, dairy products, or Apple Cider Vinegar. Vitamins/electrolytes are fine, though. If the Tylan is effective, results are usually seen after 2-3 days of treatment.

Once again, I am sorry that you are having this trouble with your birds. [​IMG]The best way to prevent diseases like Laryangotracheitis is to vaccinate your chickens.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  4. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Looks like Mycoplasma gallisepticum. You'll need tiamulin or doxycycline. Tylosin or a tetracycline if you can't get those two.

5. Russman

Russman New Egg

Jul 16, 2013
    Alabama
    If this is viral how long does it take to run its course. By the way thanks for your input and help. My young birds and my bantams seemed to be the only birds it really affected. And they seem to be doing much better though not completely over it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by