Need help! Chicks about ready to go outside!!!

What I did with my chicks is at 4 weeks old I put them out and here in Washington its quite cold but they seemed fine. But just in case for the first couple of nights we put a heat lamp up in the coop. They are now 7 weeks old and we are using the heat lamp for 2 more chicks. Be sure to fill their water bowl up 3 times a day on hot days with cold water. The chicks will drink when they get too hot and cold water will refresh them and cool them down!! Also make sure they ALWAYS have access to shade!!

What I did with my chicks is at 4 weeks old I put them out and here in Washington its quite cold but they seemed fine. But just in case for the first couple of nights we put a heat lamp up in the coop. They are now 7 weeks old and we are using the heat lamp for 2 more chicks. Be sure to fill their water bowl up 3 times a day on hot days with cold water. The chicks will drink when they get too hot and cold water will refresh them and cool them down!! Also make sure they ALWAYS have access to shade!!

Hey thanks for that information!! They are going out today, so wish them the best!!!
Thanks again

What breed are they? If their a darker feathered or heavy feathered breed then they will get hotter faster. Make sure to watch out for them the most!!!

What breed are they? If their a darker feathered or heavy feathered breed then they will get hotter faster. Make sure to watch out for them the most!!!

6 are Rhode Island Reds and two are Cuckoo Murans- all dark feathered! I fear for them too. I'm looking out on their run now and at 1248pm it's all in shade.

The reason why the darker feathered ones get hotter first is because sunlight gets absorbed by dark objects. Sunlight reflects off of lighter objects. For example Buff Orpingtons and Lavender Orpingtons ect.

The reason why the darker feathered ones get hotter first is because sunlight gets absorbed by dark objects. Sunlight reflects off of lighter objects. For example Buff Orpingtons and Lavender Orpingtons ect.

I wish I had thought about that when I got them. I just went for what we're supposed to be the more docile chicken. Wish I had done more research and thinking!

Its fine I dark feathered ones. I have a Ancona and a Black Australorp. You just have to watch them more. Here in Washington its cool most of the time but today its going to be 80!! Better go check on them!!

Its fine I dark feathered ones. I have a Ancona and a Black Australorp. You just have to watch them more. Here in Washington its cool most of the time but today its going to be 80!! Better go check on them!!

I have to laugh a little bit! 80 would be heaven right now! It's 97 today here!

They look fine!!! They are 50 days old today!

Back
Top Bottom