Need HELP!! Chicks dying after incubation

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
I just had a decent hatch of 10 mixed breeds of chicks. They came out of shell very good but after 2 days in the brooder box i had 3 die so far. I don't know whats going on here. Possibly not eating???? I had put all there beaks to the water and food and they seemed to get it but some chicks that have there eyes closed all the time don't look like there going to make it. My brooder is at 95 deg. I am feeding them chick starter that i tried to mash a little also. I don't understand why some wont open there eyes. Any help would be greatly appriciated. thank you

Are you sure your brooder is 95deg? Thermostats can give bad readings. Can they move away from heat if they want? You could try giving Hard Boiled eggs mashed up, Plain natural yogurt and Save-A-Chick electrolytes,

I had them in the incu for 8 hrs. then into the brooder. I did only check the temp with one thermometer though. theres plenty of room for them. 2'x4'. One chick is going strong but we lost one last night. Thanks again, ill try the eggs and yogurt.

Maybe Mushy chick disease (also called Navel Ill, Omphalitis). I looked in the Chicken Health Handbook. Have you used the incubator before? It is caused from incubator sanitation issues. It doesn't give a treatment, only a cause. Good luck. Ann

I've only used my incubator a couple times. Its a LG and gets very messy when they hatch. First time I cleaned mine i used dish soap and water. last time it was extra messy. I used bleach. My incubators have a smell to them. I'm I messing up.. will mine get the Mushy chick.
I dont want any mushy ones

That's Exactly how I cleaned mine, with soap and water. No bleach. I'm wondering if I did it right?

I use the rubber type shelf liners in my LG's it make cleanup a snap. These are also washable so you can pop them in the washer or hand wash and reuse. It is also easier on the eggs and the chicks hatching. I get mine at Dollar Tree .

Back
Top Bottom