Need help choosing a breed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by domromer, Apr 28, 2009.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    After asking questions here and doing a bit of research we've decided to go ahead and get some ducks.

I'm looking for a calm breed and one that is easy to order online.

Our dogs and chickens are going to be fenced off but share the backyard. I'd like to get some ducks that
    aren't so high strung that they will have a hard attack every time the dogs come charging out. My chickens completely ignore the dogs.

Egg production is important but not paramount. It's just the two of us and we plan on getting 4 ducks so it seems no matter which breed we get we should have more than enough.

I was set on Campbells but have read a few different places that they are a bit skittish.

Also does anyone know of hatcheries that will sell just 4 birds? I've tried Metlers and the least they will do is 10.
    I can sell the other 5 on craigs list, but I'd rather just start with the 4.

so here are the qualities we are looking for in order of preference.

1.calm
    2.friendly
    3.cold hardy ( our house is at 7000ft)
    4.good layers
    5. attractive plumage.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I always have to put in a vote for Muscovies. They are calm, quiet and seem to be more tolerant of people and interacting with them IMO. They are a great dual purpose bird, large size, good meat, lots of eggs. They are quiet (they don't quack) and they will keep your yard free of flies and musquitos. They are great foragers and are really hardy in all types of weather.
    HOWEVER a muscovy will not win a beauty contest. I am one of the few who do think they are pretty!
    Some say that they are hard to find in commercial hatcheries, this is not the case where I live, they are easy to order online and cost about 2.50 a duckling.

3. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
  4. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    It may be hard to only find 4 unless your willing to pay the high cost of shipping only a few

Cayugas or blue Swedish always get my vote

khaki Campells really arent too bad

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2009
  5. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Quote:We just want 4 or 5 at the most.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  6. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Quote:Are they good layers? I read a profile that said they are prone to flying, did you need to clip their wings? I like the look of them and the fact that they are very quiet. We live in the suburbs so quiet is better.

7. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    I have a lot of different breeds...khaki campbells, runners, swedish, roeun, pekin, cayuga, magpie, ancona, mallards, and mix mutts.

They are , in order of laid-back-ness....
    1. ANCONA
    2. Magpie
    3. cayuga
    4. rouen swedish and khaki campbell
    5. runners and mallards

numbers four and five all flip out hard when my neighbors jack russell pup comes within 20 feet...and he has never chased them or anything.

the first three have no issues with any dogs, other than to walk away, even when my great dane gets playful. Mis mutts seem to be a little agressive in protecting the other ducks they are with and grow up with...but do not flip out so much.

Good luck!!

Holderreads has EXCELLENT quality birds...seriously the highest quality you can get from a hatchery PERIOD. They are better than most private breeders for quality.

8. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Yes they are good layers. They can fly, I do clip their wings, if your not sure how to do it its simple, you just clip the ends of there flight feathers. It isn't painful for them its like a hair cut, I do it about once every 3-4 months. I have 3 bull mastiffs and my scovies will lay on the porch with them (always supervised) They are NOT skittish. I sometimes wish they were more so as they would walk right up to any stray dog.
    Mine lay about 200 eggs a year. I think they are great ducks with lots of personality!

9. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Quote:I like the look of the cayugas, Are they good layers? The look a lot like Mallards, are they prone to fly off?

10. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Anyone have any experience with the Golden 300 Hybrid? They are described as more eggs than Campbells and calmer as well. Sounds like a nice combo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by