1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Need help choosing a heat lamp setup!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by drewskimac, Feb 18, 2015.

1. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Hi guys, i've got eggs due to hatch in a week and i need help determining what setup to use for my brood tank. Right now i am using a standard feed tank (Just a black one i bought from tractor supply) And i need to determine a way to mount the heat lamp. Also, i need to have some sort of wire mesh over the top of the brood tank, any ideas are appreciated, thanks guys!

(Feel free to share a picture of your own setup if you feel that is the best way to explain it)

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Hanging the light is the best. you control temperature by adjusting height. Any screen will do for the top. Metal only. Plastic could melt or worse. Hardware cloth 1/2 inch ideal in my opinion. Reason I said any metal screen is so you don't have to think that stuff already at home wouldn't work.

WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

3. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Thankyou man! Also, by hanging it do you mean hanging it under the screen, or above the screen. I'm just unsure as to how i would go about hanging it[​IMG]

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Above for sure. But I am not sure how deep is that container from Tractor Supply ? As to hanging it, well you need to get creative,,, from ceiling or from a rack you construct temporarily. MAKE SURE IT IS STABLE AND DOES NOT FALL. FIRE HAZARD. Get help from electrician if not sure.

5. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
  6. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Thanks man, i'll figure something out!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I made a frame with 1/2 hardware cloth mesh to put over the tank,
    then set the metal lamp shade right on the mesh and used a dimmer extension cord to adjust heat output.

You probably only need a 60-100 watt bulb for heat if it's inside the house....depending on room temp and how deep the tank is.
    You may also need more room than that within a week or two.

8. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Thanks for your response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: