Need help choosing a meat grinder.

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by BettyR, Nov 29, 2010.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    My 20 year old meat grinder died and DH came home with 3 deer this weekend. I haven't looked at meat grinders in 20 years and have no idea what's out there. Can you tell me what you use and where you got it. I need one that has the sausage making attachments.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW...I can't buy the grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer. The mixer is also 20 years old and I don't want to put that much stress on it. It's already in need of repair.

2. ImStillMags

ImStillMags Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Quote:If your Kitchenaid mixer says Hobart on it......take it to someone and have it cleaned, greased and the motor checked. Those Hobart Kitchenaids last forever and it would be well worth it to you to get it refubished. I wouldn't recommend grinding up acouple of deer with a Kitchenaid, you do need a countertop grinder, but do get your Kitchnaid fixed if it is Hobart.....it's well worth it.

BTW, have you ever taken yours apart an greased it? You should do that about once a year if you are a heavy user of your Kitchenaid, like for making bread, etc.

Here's a wonderful tutorial on greasing your mixer.....that's probably all it needs.

http://artisanbreadbaking.com/ka_greasing

3. ImStillMags

ImStillMags Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I just had another idea. You might just need your old grinder greased and the motor checked too. It would cost far less than trying to buy a new one.

4. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
  5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:My son is going to repair my old mixer for me, it's just a matter of pinning him down and getting him to do it. And yeah, I would never part with my old Kitchenaid mixer.

Quote:Sorry to say my son looked at the old grinder and said that the motor was gone on it so I really don't have any choice but to get another one. I picked one out and ordered it. It should be here on Friday. This is the one I ordered. It is a 2.4 HP rated meat grinder. I just hope it lasts as well as my old one did.

[​IMG]

Quote:Thanks for the link, it's a great thread.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by