Need help choosing between two plastic coops!!!

KrissyroxNJ

Chirping
Jan 6, 2019
Ok, these coops may not be the traditional type, but I have heard some good things about them. I was wondering what everyone on here thought about these coops. Obviously my concern would be predators. What do you think about these from the standpoint of safety and ease of use, and assembly time? Would we need to put a base on them? The Omlet one has wire mesh that is tied into the ground to help protect from predators getting them. I am planning on putting 4 chickens in there... 1 bantam, one orpington, and two jersey giants.

Thank You
omlet chickencoop.jpg
ultimate chicken coop.jpeg

Is it your intention to leave them in there both day and night, or will they only be using this for nesting and sleeping. If they're not going to get out of the enclosure, then they need 10 square feet of floor space each, preferably more, especially with the giants, and will have the ground pretty torn up underneath if not moved frequently. The images don't specify what the size is, but the green one appears to be about 4x6, and the orange seems smaller than that; even if the larger one was 4x8, it wouldn't be enough space without a run or free range. What's your weather like? You could easily add hardware cloth to the bottom with zip ties to eliminate critters from digging their way in from underneath. **long pause, researching the omlet online** Okay, the one you have pictured is 5x7 (I was close with my second guess, 35 square feet vs my guess of 32 square feet) I think if you got the Omlet AND the extended run that is an additional 15 square feet should put you in business :) Also check out their assorted covers to take care of your weather needs, they even have some for snow.

The number of raccoons across Jersey are crazy. In addition to adding a playpen/extra run during the day (a few t-posts and 3’ plastic fencing might be enough, and toss bird netting on top for aerial protection), I’d flip over the pen (I like the green), and add hardware cloth to the floor. It will keep out all diggers. Dogs and even skunks can kill the birds.

Ok, these coops may not be the traditional type, but I have heard some good things about them. I was wondering what everyone on here thought about these coops. Obviously my concern would be predators. What do you think about these from the standpoint of safety and ease of use, and assembly time? Would we need to put a base on them? The Omlet one has wire mesh that is tied into the ground to help protect from predators getting them. I am planning on putting 4 chickens in there... 1 bantam, one orpington, and two jersey giants.

Thank You
View attachment 1738529 View attachment 1738530
Looks kind of small, especially for Jersey Giants and Orpington’s.Are they just going to sleep in there at night?

The omlet looks better for pred protection with that apron...
..but I agree both look too small for the birds you want.
Second pic doesn't tell much, need a link to product.

Knowing your climate would help for viable assessments.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-4-15_8-56-55.png

The omlet looks better for pred protection with that apron...
..but I agree both look too small for the birds you want.
Second pic doesn't tell much, need a link to product.

Knowing your climate would help for viable assessments.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1738963
She’s in New Jersey.

Back
Top Bottom