need help choosing breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bock, Nov 12, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Ok, so around February or March of next year, I am going to buy 15 chicks from Cackle hatchery (unless I find a better hatchery). I like the fact that they have a minimum order of 15 without tons of extra fees. My one problem is, they have a minimum of 5 chicks of each breed. I love having a variety of breeds, but this means I will only be able to have three. Right now I have an OEG bantam, a Japanese bantam, a bantam Cochin, a Buff Orpington, a Rhode Island Red, a Production Red, and an Easter Egger. I want green, brown, and I am considering white egg layers. I want them to lay pretty good, but I enjoy their looks too. Right now, my Production Red and my Rhode Island Red have been making me breakfast almost every day. [​IMG] I am thinking I will definitely get some Easter Eggers, and I like Barred Rocks. I really don't like the looks or personality of the Leghorn, and I am not sure if I want white eggs, so I don't think I will get them. Anyway, do you think I should get Barred Rocks, and what other brown egg laying breed should I get? Any hatchery suggestions are welcome too!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    What about Minorcas or Andalusians?

How about Delawares?

Cuckoo Marans?

3. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I am going to make 2 suggestions . . .. ..

1.) Check with your local feedstores. 1 out of 4 of our local feed stores will order anything I want when they place their chick orders in the spring. When you do this - - - you don't pay for additional shipping, you don't have min. for ordering. This past spring, our local feedstore ordered 2 partridge rock pullets and 2 speckled sussex pullets for me. I paid $2.50 - $3.5 per chick. NO EXTRA CHARGES were added to my order.

2.) My best egg producers have been leghorns (white eggs) and Easter Eggers (green eggs). I have a young comet that gave me her first egg at 17 weeks and is much calmer than the leghorns. It lays a brown egg. These are the three I recommend for egg production.

In addition to the above breeds, I have also tried:
    Wyandottes,
    Marans,
    Welsummers,
    Partridge rocks,
    Speckled sussex ( still not laying yet)

4. jarodw45

jarodw45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    +1 on the delawares, minorcas, and the andalusians![​IMG]

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I never thought about asking the feed store. Do they put them in the same box as the chicks they are keeping to keep them warm?

Thanks for the breed suggestions! I will do some research on them, and see which ones I like. [​IMG]

6. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:My feedstore separated all the special orders and put them in the office for customer pick-up. I would guess that each feed store handles their "special orders" differently - -- -so, you will have to ask yours.

7. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    When we order again in the spring, I plan to get some barnevelders. They just look so pretty (and that's the best reason to get a chicken, right? [​IMG]). They lay dark brown eggs.

8. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    IMO Cackle is the best hatchery, but as you said they require 5 min of each breed. Murray McMurray is another good hatchery and they do not have mins on their breeds if you want one of wach they will pack it for you. They do have a minimum of 25 chicks though.

9. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Cackle has nice Delawares and their Cuckoo Marans lay pretty dark eggs I'm impressed and the New Hampshires I have from them are laying nice big brown eggs and they are very pretty. I liked Cackle better than McMurray too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by