Need Help Choosing Chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by new2chicks, Apr 20, 2008.

1. new2chicks

new2chicks New Egg

Apr 20, 2008
    Southern Tier, NY
    I am new to backyard chickens, but thought it would be nice to have some to have our own eggs and meat as well as a good chore for my kids (I have 6) to have.

I basically know nothing about chickens, so really need advice as to what kind (breed) to get. I have kids, so they will be dealing with them alot, so I want them to have good temperments...no spurring roosters!!

We'd also prefer to have white eggs since our experience with brown eggs is that they are a "strange" strong flavor, which may just be something we have to get used to? But, thought maybe we would try to get hens that lay white eggs as long as they have good temperments.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me???

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    well from what you say.i think youd want white leghorn hens.they lay white eggs.an they lay alot of eggs.now they arnt the gentlest chickens.but they will get used to you an the kids being round them.

3. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I don't find any difference in the taste of white eggs or brown eggs. I do notice a difference between fresh eggs and store bought eggs that have been sitting around for a while. Most chickens that lay white eggs are flightier and harder to handle. Most brown egg layers have better temperments. Buff Orpingtons are gentle birds usually good around children. Mine don't mind getting hugged from the kids.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've never been able to tell the difference in the taste of a white vs a brown egg. [​IMG] They're the exact same on the inside...just came from a different breed of chicken. Now storebought vs home grown fresh eggs is a different story...big difference in taste there.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

featherland...you typed faster than me!!

6. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    [​IMG] lol

7. mhoward92

mhoward92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2007
    Any chicken is a good chicken. White leghorns lay white eggs. some say they are agressive at times but i have 5 of them and they are actually the ones that are waiting for me when i open the door they are always the first ones coming for me. I would reccomend them. My personal favorite breed are Buff Orpingtons. Big meat birds very nice personal type. they lay brown eggs. I second everyones statement that white and brown eggs don't taste different. Its just something to get use to.

8. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I dont believe I have ever noticed a difference between white and brown eggs, however as stated by others there is a BIG difference between home grown eggs and store bought. You will love the difference. We love our Ameraucanas, they lay a green/blue egg and the kids love them. They dont taste any different also a great converstaion piece. The are gentle birds great to have around. We also have Barred Rocks which are great layers. Just ordered some Silver and Gold Laced and Buff Orph and more Ameraucanas.

Hope this helps. [​IMG]

9. new2chicks

new2chicks New Egg

Apr 20, 2008
    Southern Tier, NY
    Thanks to all for your advice! I guess I'll put the brown/white thing to rest and just focus on personality. :)Some more questions...

What are the benefits of having several different kinds of chickens in one coop?

How do you know what kind of rooster to get?

Are some combinations better than others?

Do different breeds cost more/less than others?

Do some do better in cold weather climates than others? We are in upstate New York (Southern Teir). It can get quite chilly in the winter.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Yes breeds like Orpingtons, Wyandottes, and the Rocks all do well in cold weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by