Need help: coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carathompson, Nov 16, 2016.

1. carathompson

carathompson New Egg

Jul 14, 2015
    Took chicken poop into the vet thinking they might have worms. It came back positive for coccidiosis. I thinking early in the disease and I'm desperate to treat it ASAP. What have you used that has worked?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Corid (amprollium) is very good for treatment of coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder in a gallon of water for 5 days. All chickens have some coccidia in their guts, but an overload is usually when they get sick. Symptoms include lethargy, refusal to eat, runny poops sometimes with blood or mucus, and standing puffed up or hunched. What symptoms are you seeing? It helps to keep bedding clean and dry, and to treat all chickens at once. After Corid, a few days treatment with vitamins and probiotic plain yogurt my help. Here is some reading:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html

3. carathompson

carathompson New Egg

Jul 14, 2015
    Not really seeing any symptoms except one chicken is pail. So hoping I got it early.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Corid, AmpoMed P, Amprol are some of the amprolium products in the US. The are indentical, so dosing would be as Eggcessive stated in post #2

If you can't find something with amprolium, you can try something with a sulfa antibiotic.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  5. carathompson

carathompson New Egg

Jul 14, 2015
    I gave all my girls medicated chick feed when they were chicks. I don't understand why they have this. Is there a decent chance I can cure them?

6. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    Definitely can be gotten in balance. How old are your chickens? A small number of coccidia are always present in a chicken but the positive flora keep it in check. Coccidiosis occurs when the internal balance is upset and the coccidia are able to multipy without being kept in check. It's EXTREMELY dangerous in young chicks and can do irreversible damage in adults. Here's a pretty decent explanation: http://www.chickenwhisperermagazine.com/articles/coccidiosis-chickens-transmission-diagnosis-and-treatment and of course it's been discussed at length a lot on the forum since it's very common.

Give them all Corid for the recommended amount of time and then add some probiotics to their food for a while afterward to restore a good GI balance. Make sure to re-test to confirm it's not still present in dangerous amounts. Corid isn't effective for EVERY strain.

As far as preventing it in the future, some people SWEAR by a regular regime of ACV in their water & crushed garlic. I have used https://www.amazon.com/Amber-Technology-684534010324-Kochi-Free/dp/B002MV9UDS for preventative, and I do put ACV in their water often, as well as weekly doses of crushed raw garlic. So far, no coccidiosis but it can happen at any age.

Please keep us posted!!

7. rlhagan56

rlhagan56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Out West
    The dosage for Corid powder 20% is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. I know, I am fighting Cocci now.
    In the thread *Need Help With Corid Dosage* everyone agrees that it is 1/2 teaspoon of the 20% powder in 1 gallon water.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That is wrong, that dose was based on flawed math and science. How are your math skills?

-Kathy

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That dosage is outdated, and in some older threads here on BYC, even though some had success. A teaspoonful of one medicine may not equal a tsp of another since they weigh differently. Since Casportpony weighed some of the ingredients in grams a couple of years ago, and consulted with the manufacturer most of us would recommend 1 1/2 of the Corid powder or 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water. Corid is a cattle medicine used off label for chickens.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Corid Weight Pictures

Tools - Gram scale and two different teaspoons

[​IMG]

Two different teaspoons filled with 20% Corid powder

[​IMG]

White teaspoon = 624 mg (312 x 200)

[​IMG]

Orange teaspoon = 610 mg (305 x 200)

[​IMG]

The mfg says this:
    Quote: 3.5 teaspoons = 10.5 teaspoons
    One ounce = 28.3495
    28.3495 / 10.5 = 2.7 grams per teaspoon

The FDA and the manufacturer say this:
    http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=033-165
    Quote: Quote: 1 gallon = 3785 ml
    0.024% = 908.4 mg per gallon
    0.012% = 454.2 mg per gallon
    0.006% = 227.1 mg per gallon

One teaspoon of Corid weighs 2.7 to 3.0 grams, it does not weigh 5 grams.
    One gram = 200 mg

If 2.7 grams per teaspoon, that's 2.7 x 200 mg = 540 mg
    908.4 / 540 =
    1.68 teaspoons per gallon

If 3.0 grams per teaspoon, that's 3 x 200 mg = 600 mg
    908.4 / 600 =
    1.5 teaspoons per gallon

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by