Need help connecting VGA to RCA

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Roy Rooster, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi All,

I am not that computer educated so I need a little help making this connection work.

Ok, I am trying to connect a PC monitor to my DVD player.

Can anyone tell me what kind of a cable I need to achieve this?

I found on amazon a vga to rca adapter cable but the thing that confuses me is that it
    has a USB connector as well.I will not be able to use that and am not sure if it is fundamental
    that I use the usb connection either.

Any help from those who are educated in computer and electronic would be great.

The reason I am trying to make this connection is because the tower that this monitor was used with has crashed.
    We decided when we replaced the computer to go with a laptop. So now we have a really nice monitor that we
    are wanting to use as a TV connected to a DVD player in our boys room.

Thanks

2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    The first problem I see is lack of audio. Monitors don't make sound and neither do DVD players.

That being said I do believe you could do what you are trying to do you would just need to pick up some speakers and maybe a little more elaborate of an adapter. Maybe a t.v. tuner box. I will brainstorm on this a little and if I come up with any plausible ideas I will let you know.

3. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I plan on connecting the audio to a stereo system. I want just the Video to go to the PC monitor.

Also, I have a DVI and a VGA connection on the monitor, which one do I need to attach the RCA cable to?

I do not know a whole lot about electronics and their connections. I have seen both DVI and VGA but am not sure
    which I should connect the RCA to. If you could give me any clarification that would be great.

Thanks Again

4. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I think the RCA cable would connect to the VGA cable.

Exactly how are you going to hook the audio up? I might have a better idea on what to do if I know the audio situation. You say you plan on connecting the audio to a stereo system. How would you do this?

Also, what connection options do you have for your DVD player? just the standard red/white/yellow plugs?

I just watched this video and it made sense. It's made by a kid and he kind of takes forever to get to the point but it seems easy enough. Might have to visit Radio Shack for a couple parts.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  5. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi,

Thanks for the link to the youtube video. I think that it pretty much answered my question. I am going to look at getting
    a coverter box and go that route.

As far as the audio, I have a stereo that I am going to fun the audio from the DVD player to. I just want the computer
    monitor to be the video connector. I don't think that monitor's have good sound quality anyway. This way I can make
    a tv out of an old monitor and get good sound out of the stereo. Unless you think that this may not the best way to go.

Thanks Again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by