Need help creating my own sex-links!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by boykin2010, Nov 3, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I eventually want to start creating my own sex-link crosses. I have been reading on the sex-link pages and trying to figure out what breeds i want to cross but i need some help.

Could I use a Black Copper Maran in a red sex-link cross?

I am wanting to create a cross so that there is a distinct coloring difference between the males and females when they hatch. I would like the difference to be very noticeable. I am also trying to make the most efficient cross so that I would get the most eggs from them. Which of these females would make the most egg-efficient cross? Rhode island white, Salmon Faverolle, Light Sussex, Columbian Leghorn, and Delaware.

For the rooster in the cross, i am stuck between a couple of different breeds. Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, or Speckled Sussex and if i can Black Copper Maran.

I am also a little confused about the wild-type sexlinks. What does the wild-type look like? Is it chipmunk stripes?

I really would like to see pictures of some different crosses of the hens and roosters I listed if possible.
    Any advice or tips would be helpful!

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i made my own sex link my accident.

I crossed this Partridge Pendensca roo
    [​IMG]

with this California Grey hen
    [​IMG]

and so far two girls hatched. the boys are black with white legs and look like barred rocks. but my boy chick didnt hatch. i opened the egg to see what it would look like.

heres my two girl chicks-(black with red face and black legs)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:and you know they are female how?, b/c to the average person, it's virtually impossible to sex day old, and even much older chicks...

4. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Very cute. Do you happen to know if i could use the Black copper maran in a red sex link cross?

5. stephanie1992

Quote:and you know they are female how?, b/c to the average person, it's virtually impossible to sex day old, and even much older chicks...

with sex linked birds u can tell male from female right away. i did research on it and on here everyone told me they were sex-linked females

6. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011

with sex linked birds u can tell male from female right away. i did research on it and on here everyone told me they were sex-linked females

really??? I'm pretty sure a novice would know the definition of sex link...

so you say you accidentally stumbled across this mating... I could see it with the barred female,...b ut I'm pretty sure that in barred sex link crosses, you get barred (spots on head males), and unbarred, (no spots on head females). In your case, I'm going to question that...

7. stephanie1992

Quote:with sex linked birds u can tell male from female right away. i did research on it and on here everyone told me they were sex-linked females

really??? I'm pretty sure a novice would know the definition of sex link...

so you say you accidentally stumbled across this mating... I could see it with the barred female,...b ut I'm pretty sure that in barred sex link crosses, you get barred (spots on head males), and unbarred, (no spots on head females). In your case, I'm going to question that...

thats ok u can question it. but everyone on here told me there sex linked. and the males did have spots in there heads. and u can see these two dont. i can give u my link where people told me about the sex-linking. and what do u mean ur pretty sure a novice would know the definition. im no novice when it comes to chickens. and i didnt stumble across this mating. i purposly mated them not knowing it would create a sex-link. but im not going to srgue about it. this isnt the place for arguing. i was just answering the users question.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. stephanie1992

Quote:idk really. its a possiblity. u could always try and see what u get

9. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:the easiest one I know of is.. a Fibromelanotic rooster(silkie) over a white leghorn hen..

you can sex them at hatch.. how? hens will have Black skin and roosters will not have black skin.. kee the hens for laying eggs and cull the boys..

10. stephanie1992

just thought id let everyone know...i posted pics here before about my sex-linked chicks. some said they werent. i also posted another thread asking gender and lots said roos. cant find that post. but i see alot of people never go back and say if it turned out boy or girl. soo im back with an update. my chicks are sex links and are females [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by