need help!!!!!!! crooked baby chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pete fernBonnie, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Pete fernBonnie

Pete fernBonnie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    hi so here's my story. i wanted to hatch eggs in a incubator for the first time so i borrow a incubator from a friend. i used egg cartons that were tilted using another egg cartons with eggs at the bottom to make it tilted. but anyway i have a small banty cochin hen who eggs are about the size of a half dollar, and i turned them everyday 3 times and i researched and they said that the banty eggs that were small will probably hatch early and i had 4 banty eggs and 5 standard sized eggs. on day 19 all of the standard chicks hatched and the small ones layed motionless, then on day 21 they all pop out of their eggs. i had one who had a little difficulty trying to pop out so i helped him enough where he could finish it himself. and after it hatched and puffed out i noticed it was lopsided. i looks like it is leaning on one side for support like there is something there. it has acted just like any other healthy chick would do but i am afraid that its back bone is crooked and if it is will that cause it pain. she or he is 1week old. i really need help i dont want it to be in pain and i not know it! please help!

2. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    i would see how she is in a week if shes still the same take her to the vet.

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi, sorry to hear you are having trouble.
    Do you have a picture of the chick?

4. Pete fernBonnie

Apr 3, 2012
    yes i willl try to post it soon my camera is broken and i havent taken a picture yet so it will be a few hours

5. Pete fernBonnie

Apr 3, 2012
    i took a closer look and its not her back it has one leg longer than the other or it maybe broken or something but one of the legs is extended when it walks.

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    You could try putting a hobble on it as it sounds like the chick has splay leg. Do a search on here and it will link you to different ways to "hobble" the chick. I don't know how well it works on a chick already a week old but it's worth a try!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by