need help dealing with coyote

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by emptynesterMom, Apr 1, 2012.

1. emptynesterMom

emptynesterMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Virginia
    Hello All,
    I live in the eastern part of Virginia and have never had to deal with coyotes until now. They have been re-introduced and have apparently spread out my way. Yesterday my DH and I were outside working in the coop about 3:00PM ( bright sunny day). Our doberman had been playing in the field just a few minutes before but had been put in the house. The birds were free-ranging but were within about 25yards of us in the edge of a field. We heard a ruckus from the chickens and turkeys and when we looked up saw what we first thought was a dog with a chicken in it's mouth. The toms were moving aggressively towards it and my husband and I ran toward it yelling. It didn't run away quickly. It looked at my husband eye to eye and then dropped the bird and slunk off into the woods. DH ran to get a gun but of course it was gone by the time he got back. The chicken lost a lot of feathers but seems OK. I had never even seen a coyote before outside of the zoo. I had no idea that they where that big - seemed 35-40lbs. I didn't know that they weren't afraid of people - foxes would never let you see them like that or stare you down like that. And finally, I thought that they were noctournal. Any advice on dealing with this new (to me) predator would be appreciated.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are feeding pups right now so they hunt whenever/wherever they can find a meal for the babies in the den. They are not necessarily nocturnal, especially this time of year. They are quite used to humans, too. They will wait and stalk your chickens, watching you and the activity around your house until they get a good chance to grab and run. Just ask our member Cetawin here about that one. The first post in this thread will show you some of how a coyote operates:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/521876/why-have-a-rooster-new-pg-10-video-pg-13

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  3. Wigggy

Wigggy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    Put out traps

4. braindead101

braindead101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Midwest.
    Whenever out in the yard, keep your gun handy. If coyotes are not a protected species there use the SSS control method.

[SSS=shoot, shovel, shut up]

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    they are getting ready to have pups here they are eating hard, I have a pair in chesapeake I keep tabs on they do not have pups yet here .I have killed several ( 3 ) in the bowers hill section of chesapeake and a half dozen or so down the old canal bank in chesapeake we have had them for 30-35 years or so folks just called them "wild dogs " back then traps are the best way to rid yourself of them a electronic caller comes in a close second with a acurrite rifle a .22 magnum is plenty for this size critter VDGIF has a nuisance trappers page at their website I barely do not have them yet I am near south norfolk/ gilmerton area of chesapeake I am coved in fox though where the yotes have "pushed " them into town

6. aprophet

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    they are a "nuisance specie" here on privete land no season no limit night and day hunting allowed

7. aprophet

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I notice you have turkeys we have bobcats in chesapeake /suffolk you will see them if you are close to these cities I catch them now and then @ va beach side of chesapeke

8. BeccaSmith

BeccaSmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    We had coyotes come in during the day back in late December/ early January. We ended up having to fence our entire acre with about 5 or 6 ft welded wire. We then took concrete pieces we had from breaking out an old concrete patio and lined the entire fence because both coyotes and foxes will dig. If your not willing/able to do the fencing, just expect to loose some of your flock and plan accordingly. They wiped out half of our flock in one week. Good luck!

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    For night time, I finally ordered a $32 motion detector with the alarm base in the house. Then park my boots and shotgun at the door. I really don't know what to do during the day.

10. emptynesterMom

emptynesterMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Virginia

Seminolewind, What kind of motion dectector did you get? This sounds like a good idea.I can keep the chickens in their run, but I have a young grandchild and don't like the idea of a predator with little fear of people that close. It has got to go. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by