Need help deciding how many chicks for my run and what size coop...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kaitsmama, Jan 13, 2010.

1. kaitsmama

kaitsmama New Egg

Jan 12, 2010
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Our dog run that we are converting to a chicken yard is approximately 53'X10' (I measured in the dark last night and was having trouble getting the tape to stay straight so we went with the low measurement on length it is most likely a few feet longer). We are going to build a coop, and still trying to decide what size and how many chicks we can have that will be comfortable in this space for part of the day. We plan to let them have the run of our 3/4 of an acre when I am able to be outside gardening or working in the kitchen and can see them out the windows, but I work nights so two days out of the week (when I am sleeping) the girls will be stuck with the ~530 sq ft for scratching and pecking most of the day. I want them to be comfortable...

What do you think about coop size, and how many chicks? I have read many posts, and honestly still not sure.

If it makes a difference, my daughter and I are beginning to lean toward buff orpingtons (thanks for the suggestion eenie114), though my daughter thinks she may want a silkie or two later.

2. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    [​IMG]

WOW!!!! The rule of thumb is 10 square feet per bird, so you could put as many as 53 in there, if you wanted to. There's a lot of BYCers would give their eyeteeth to trade with you.

So you've pretty much got all the leeway you want to have as many as you want! Unless of course you want, like, hundreds???[​IMG]

And it also depends on how big you're going to build the coop, and if you have time to take care of that many.

Good luck!

maggie

3. kaitsmama

kaitsmama New Egg

Jan 12, 2010
    Broken Arrow, OK
    LOL, well, I am pretty safe then. We were going to start with a dozen, LOL. Not sure why I was so worried... Seems silly now.

4. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    A dozen buff orpingtons ought to look nice.

No such thing as a silly question. Especially on BYC. Check out the coop designs button at the top of this page and pick out ideas you want to use. You'll come up with something custom made for you, that YOU can build. Then, post pics so we can all share.[​IMG]

maggie

5. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    get a few different one and see which ones you like best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by