Need help deciding on conversion

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kaylin, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Kaylin

Kaylin Chirping

Feb 14, 2016
    Big bend area Florida
    Well, I just moved to from TX to Florida panhandle. Didn't want to move the coop and wasn't prepared to bring the chickens, so they went to a fantastic home (couldn't have asked for better.) However, I lasted a whole 2 months and have already ordered chicks. Welsummers and speckled sussex (11 total with cockerel chick).

So...to the point. I have a couple of coop conversion options and need help weighing pros and cons. BOTH are elevated off the ground 1.5 feet or so on wood or blocks as I live on a river that occasionally spills out of its banks. Also I have predators (up to and including possible bears) so need to think security for the chicken family.

Option A: metal garden shed on one side of the house that gets full sun for a couple hours midday otherwise at least partial shade. I'd remove at least some of the metal siding and put in mesh to keep it cooler Has two windows. Pros: more protected, can make them a better run, nice out of the way location, roomy. Cons: plywood floor, might be too hot even with some siding removed, I'd basically wreck it as far reverting it back to a shed in the future, it could be a wind trap in the event of a hurricane. Would look "okay". Nothing special. I'd keep the big door for night time security and inside make a wire mesh door for daytime.

Option B: a gorgeous wood gazebo on the other side (that I probably will never actually use). It's fully painted and has a metal roof. Also full sun for a few hours. Cons: more awkward to work with since it is an elongated octagon with no nice square corners. Don't want to affix wire mesh directly to the structure so I'd do panels and screw them on. 2x6 flooring with typical deck type gaps. Would be an eyesore if done wrong. Pros: would look amazing if done right and I'm not going to use it as a gazebo whereas I might use the shed as a shed. Can do all wire panels or block wind with wood panels halfway up or full wood certain walls, etc.

My decision changes daily. I like the gazebo but it seems like more work and I'm having trouble in wrapping my head around exactly how to do it. I'd like to not lose the gazebo look. The shed would be easier I think but more....blah. More practical perhaps :)

Thoughts?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

If I had the money for the extra work I would work with the gazebo.

MatthewsHomestead likes this.
  3. Kaylin

Kaylin Chirping

Feb 14, 2016
    Big bend area Florida
    Shed picture

Attached Files:

4. Kaylin

Kaylin Chirping

Feb 14, 2016
    Big bend area Florida
    Gazebo

Attached Files:

5. Kaylin

Kaylin Chirping

Feb 14, 2016
    Big bend area Florida
    Well, it's just me doing it. I've got tools and desire but limited experience, lol. I can get wood but want to keep cost down of course.

6. Alaskan

the gazebo sure would make a pretty chicken coop. :confused: but yes, it all depends on if you can do quality enough work. Tricky.

7. Kaylin

Kaylin Chirping

Feb 14, 2016
    Big bend area Florida
    Yeah I know. Can I do it? Probably. Can I do it before my chicks become chickens....maybe, lol.

8. Alaskan

You could always make a quick cute tractor now and that would buy you time.

MatthewsHomestead and aart like this.
  9. Kaylin

Kaylin Chirping

Feb 14, 2016
    Big bend area Florida
    Well I've got a couple months to decide anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: