Need help deciding on incubator...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spookychick, Feb 15, 2009.

1. spookychick

spookychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Here are the three setups I'm considering:

Brinsea 40DX with added Humidity Management Module
    Sportsman with added Humidity Management Module
    Dickey Cabinet with added Humidity Management Module

Pros and Cons -

The Brinsea unit is a good size for me, but I'm not sure I like the design for setting eggs, and viewing the hatch. Also, I would probably want to set eggs at different times, which means having to use one of my Genesis units as a hatcher.

The Sportsman is a bit bigger than I need, but has more flexibility. I also like the computer monitoring system.

Dickey seems like a solidly built unit, and I like the idea of supporting a small business. Doesn't have the monitoring system of the Sportsman, but if I added the Brinsea Humidity Management Module, I doubt I would miss that feature.

I know everyone has there personal favorite, but I'm just hoping to get an idea of which would be most reliable and worry free. Also, does anyone have experience with the Humidity Management Module? Is it worth the added $$$ ? Please help. I'd like to place my order this weekend if possible.

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    We have 3 sportsmans and have had them since 2000 or 2001 and have never had to do anything to them. One hasnt been used in about 2 years, all we did was add water, plug it up, and the humidity and temp went to where they were susposed to be and is working like a charm.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Cant help, I built all mine. But I had to say, I love your chick pic. [​IMG]

4. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Have you looked at the R Com 20 pro? It has a computer monitoring system in a smaller setup.

5. spookychick

Quote:Thanks for the feedback. I'm seriously leaning toward a cabinet unit because of the flexibility. How does it work for simultaneous setting and hatching? I've read you can set different trays in successive weeks, and just rotate the eggs down to the hatcher tray as needed, but I was wondering how that works when you're supposed to increase the humidity for hatching.

6. spookychick

Quote:Yes. I did. I liked it in fact, but I think it's too small.

7. spookychick

Quote:Thanks!

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Thanks for the feedback. I'm seriously leaning toward a cabinet unit because of the flexibility. How does it work for simultaneous setting and hatching? I've read you can set different trays in successive weeks, and just rotate the eggs down to the hatcher tray as needed, but I was wondering how that works when you're supposed to increase the humidity for hatching.

You can set them in different trays you just have to raise the humidity when when eggs are in thier last 3 days. So if you set eggs once a week your humidity is rather high the majority of the time. Its really better to set them at one time, and hatch those and set again. We have 2 incubators and a hatcher for that reason.

9. spookychick

You can set them in different trays you just have to raise the humidity when when eggs are in thier last 3 days. So if you set eggs once a week your humidity is rather high the majority of the time. Its really better to set them at one time, and hatch those and set again. We have 2 incubators and a hatcher for that reason.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking it couldn't work the way they claim. I'll use one of the Genesis to hatch if I've staggered the sets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by