Need help deciding -- regarding kenneling my two dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by herefordlovinglady, Aug 30, 2010.

1. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    I have to leave for about a week. I can put them in a kennel here close to home, they would be there from Thursday to Monday. the kennel is very nice, they would get to go to a play area 4 x per day, they would be in regular dog kennels, not a run, the people are great, seem very caring; OR i can take them to the town i am going to and they would be in from Friday am to Sunday pm. this kennel is okay +/-, it is an indoor/outdoor concrete run, the only way they would get walked is if they would not "go" on concrete. I have not personally seen the second choice, the fellow i talked to was a little abrupt, but not too bad. The cost to do the first one would be $96. The cost to do the second would be anywhere from 56 to 72 (the difference is if they do not have to walk the dogs vs having to walk the dogs).

I guess my question is: would it be less traumatic on them to just stay two nights in an "uncomfortable" kennel vs. 4 nights in the other...

What is funny, is how do i know what would be more comfortable for the dogs, they are going to hate it either way.

ETA: the link to the 1st place: http://holmeshorsestables.com/dog_boarding

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Personally, I would take to the one where they would be able to go out to play. Especially if they are younger or are used to being outside a lot. Even if they are not, it sounds like the 1st one is a better place, more in tune with keeping your pet happy until you return. JMO

3. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    See which of these facilities is approved by the national pet care services organization. They both may be. Accreditation is one way to assess the quality of the facility.
    Accreditated member facilities meet and exceed the standards of the Pet Care Services Association Accreditation Program and have successfully completed an on-site evaluation by the Pet Care Services Association.

Here's the link:

http://www.petcareservices.org/

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think the first one seems better......

5. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I liked the first one too. Especially the fact that they ask you to bring in your own food. A lot of the kennels around here will charge extra if you bring your own food and will only allow so many people to bring it. They look like a nice place and your dogs will be happier even though they will be there longer.

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I would probably go with the first. Having had a really bad experience with a kennel who really could care less, I would go with the one where they were given more hands on attention. And I guarantee when you go to pick up from the kennel #2 they will charge you the higher price and claim the dogs had to go out.

7. herefordlovinglady

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Y'all thank you so much. I agree with everyone, no. 1 is the best. I did not realize they had larger runs outside and then they come inside at night. I like that they are personal and are very friendly. Actually, I just love the leopard bedding, my girls will feel like they are at a spa and they both will be bathed and all fresh when i pick them up, they bath them for free if they stay more than 3 nights.

thanks for the information fourpawz -- neither place is listed, but it was good information to have.

and the food issues, there is no way i can change their food, they are both so picky, it's hard to get them to eat just anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    I own a boarding kennel and I can tell you that taking those dogs out for walks does MAJOR good to their mental health and helps eliminate stress. Just like excercise releases endorphins in humans it relaxes dogs too. Also, make sure your dogs are up to date on their annual vaccine and their kennel cough vaccine as well.

9. herefordlovinglady

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:thanks, i agree! I have their shot records and they are both up to date.

It's good to hear from a person who owns a kennel.

10. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    Yes, first kennel sounds way better. I have been lucky enough to have friends to care for my dogs when I can't take them, all but one time, when I kenneled them for two nights for our wedding. It was a crummy place, concrete inside and out, with a tiny little door for them to go in and out. Both were big dogs, 90+ lbs, and could barely fit. My dobie came back with a scraped up nose from trying to get through there. The dogs certainly were grateful when we picked them up, and extremely "apologetic" for whatever they had done to deserve that...we hold that over their heads whenever they are naughty now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by