Need help deciding what breed....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CCourson05, Sep 29, 2011.

1. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I am debating on whether or not to hatch a few ducks, but I don't know what breed to choose. I do know that I do not want Muscovy. What do you all recommend?

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Welsh harlequins! I have four, they are so cute! Mine are just babies but they are so sweet!

3. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    I personally think blue swedish are beautiful birds! Also kahki campbells, they are good laying ducks. But I have both breeds and also rouens but the blue swed is by far my favorite!!!

4. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I would og with Welsh Harlequin. I have heard that they are sweet beautiful ducks. And they are also great layers and broodies. I want some so bad but dont have the room.

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I have rouens, khakis and welsh harlequins. And the welshies are my favorite. I heard they are awesome layers, great broodys, beautiful birds, and very soical! Not saying nothing against sweedish, but I have never owned them so I still vote welshies!

6. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Quote:I do want some welsh harlequins! I just haven't owned any so I can't suggest them as I don't know anything about them! Lol! But yes, they are gorgeous birds!

7. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    So it looks like the Welsh has it. Thanks you guys/gals!!

If anyone else has suggestions, fire away.. I have no idea about ducks... Currently, I am all chicken and peafowl...

8. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
  9. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Khaki and Buff....both giving me an egg a day so far, sometimes one will take a break, though, for a day.

Both of my girls are gorgeous, and the Buff makes such beautiful noise. I love it....she isn't LOUD, but she jabbers a lot.

Cayugas add a bit of gorgeousness to any backyard!

10. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:I, too, have no idea about ducks, so I'm not a lot of help. I am, however, a very accidental somewhat new duckling owner. I now have two approximately 5 week old ducks, mallard x call cross (so I've been told). They're sooo much different than chickens and while incredibly cute, I'm just now starting to like them (now that they're OUTSIDE) and they're just starting to like me (maybe).

So, I'm not a lot of help, but I did want to pass on that they were VERY frustrating at first.

Also some ducks require you to get a waterfowl permit so make sure you know your states rules and regs.

[​IMG]
    Bert and Ernie

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by