1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help deciding what to do about broody...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hobobrando, Jan 13, 2009.

1. hobobrando

hobobrando Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    So for the past few days i have noticed one of my cochins hasn't left one of the nesting boxes. I didint think anything of it because the last few times i checked she wasn't sitting on any eggs. Well i went outside just now t find her sitting on one egg and a golf ball. So as a test i placed two other eggs infront of her and she quickly scooped them under her. Now this is ironic because just before i went out to get eggs i was working on an incubator, i was just planning to incubate a few eggs to see if mine were fertile or not.
    So i would be happy that she is broody but its also extremely cold outside right now and i'm afraid of the eggs getting to cold.

So heres my question could I move that bird into a small pen in the garage were its warmer, or will she get lonely or not want to sit because shes alone.

Now this is asuming my mom allows (i'm only 15) because she thinks I have enough now as it is. But maby i could weisel her into just a few more [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    From my experience, it's hard to say. Some hens move fine while others freak out and have a kaniption fit to get back out. Depending on the coop, number of birds, nesting situation, it might be ok just to leave her out there. When a hen goes broody her body temp rises and the eggs right under her will not get to cold. Especially if the nest has lots and lots of bedding for her to snuggle the eggs into. However, if an egg or two were to get push out of the nest, they would get cold. But that's true in any case. Since you are right at the beginning, I'd try moving her, but if she won't you may just try leaving her in the coop.

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Does mom know about the broody?

Try leaving her where she is or putting some sort of screen around a special place for her in the coop. If she wants to be broody, let her. If she doesn't freeze, she will probably do fine. And when the dear little fuzzy chicks show up... [​IMG] "Mom it just happened." [​IMG]

4. hobobrando

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    Yes my mother knows [​IMG]

But... my mom does seem to like the blue eggs i get from my EE so it would problably be easy to convince her to let me put a few of those under her.

I think what I will do is build the seperate pen in the garage tomarrow afternoon because i get out of school at 11:45. Then i collect just blue eggs for a couple of days and move her into the new pen and see if she will sit. All i will have to do is show my mom pictures of the baby chicks from last spring and it should be smooth sailing from there.

Thanks for the help.

5. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:This is funny because I just had the same thing happen. I am in the middle of the "bator" build as well to incubate some Silkies and one find my Mocha broody as of yesterday. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Get your pen and nest for her ready , gather your eggs .
    This is the most important thing. You have to move her at night.
    And it has to be done just right.
    This is how run your hand under her palm side up make a cup shape with your hand. Let her settle down in your hand. You will fill her weight when she does. Slowly move her out of that nest into the new nest you have ready. A pet taxi works great or a cardboard box so you can move her nest in all to the new pen.
    Have the eggs in the new nest.
    Leave her alone closed in for the first day after the move. Have feed water ready for her don't fuss with her just keep an eye on her. You should have baby chicks in 21 day and a proud mommy.
    Best of luck

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Brandon, your mom wont let you get more chicks...but I know someone who will [​IMG]

8. hobobrando

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    Eli, I was just about to PM you to see if you wanted any more chickens. I want to see if my eggs are fertile or not so bad. I also need to see if my uncle wants any more.

9. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:Ok, no problem. [​IMG]
    Just remember who gave you the rooster...... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by