Need help deciding which Lt Brahma roo to keep

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mrs MIA, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Some of you know, from a previous post, that I wound up with 4 lt brahma roos and one hen when it was supposed to be the other way around. They are 17 weeks old now, and each has their distinct personality now. The downside is that the 4 of them are starting to fight, each other, over the hen... I have not been able to re-home them after putting up signs and posting on Craigslist for the last two weeks. They are beautiful birds, but they are becoming too aggressive for the breeders pen, and I need to remove 3 of them. Emily, my hen, is very close to one of them, who happens to be the least aggressive of the bunch. However, my purpose is to breed them as close to true as possible. I have a copy of the Standard of Perfection coming, but I don't think it will get here before this weekend, which is when we are harvesting turkeys and the extra roos. Does anyone have a copy of the standards, or photos they can share, to help me determine which is the best for the breeding program? When I look at them, there are two that are more "aesthetically" pleasing than the other two, but from there I'm not sure what to look for.

I assume good foot-feathering, good solid legs, nice white saddle with good hackle feathers and green tail... what about the comb/wattles? Coloring of feathers on the feet? Any Lt Brahma enthusiasts that can help? I sure would appreciate it! [​IMG]

OK... I'm about to go out and take photos... back in a few... [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Tuffoldhen has really nice lt Brahmas......hopefully she'll be able to help you decide. I always hate deciding who to keep!

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I can't wait to see pics...where did you get them from where they missed that badly on the sexing?

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I bought them from our "local" hatchery (300 miles away), who I believe got his chicks from Ideal. They're beautiful, but each is very different when you start looking at the fine details.

Well, Emily and her beau, Dominique, are separated now... I went out to take photos and through the viewfinder I zoomed in on Emily and realized that she had a flap of skin the size of a dime hanging on the side of her face under her earlobe and blood all over... it looks like someone tried to take her throat out! [​IMG] She's cleaned up, bandaged, coddled, and back in another pen with Dom, and seems to have settled down now. The other three are pacing the pen, looking at them, wondering how to get to them... :thun It's a good thing for them that I have a hard time with the killing process...

Uploading photos now...

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 - King George
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#5 - Dominique
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the best, but I wanted to get them taken and get Emily out of there... [​IMG] Look at her throat!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you weren't concerned with breeding I would say keep the one that is closest to your hen, whom I believe you also said was your least aggressive one. Not only so your hen won't grieve, but if you think about it gentleness is also a desirable trait that you might want to pass on.
    As you are interested in breeding, Tuffoldhen would be the one you want to get in touch with, or there is a group of brahma owners on Yahoo!, I thinking it's called the American Brahma Club; maybe you could do a search for the group.

7. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    They all look really nice but I am not sure if it is the pic or not but number 3 does not look as though his comb is a true brahma comb. Any of the others would do just fine.

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

They look very good for hatchery birds. [​IMG] I agree with turnerstar about the comb on #3. It looks a little funky. I wish you were closer, I'd take one. [​IMG]

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Oh I just found this thread!!...I wish I was close to you to take one of those boys off your hands...They all have nice markings, I agree about #3's comb, its way too big.....I am by no means a great judge but I think I have a nice standard of Brahmas for my backyard flock....#4 has great foot feathering...I like nice white backs, with black markings on tail, wing tip and necks....and a good personality from the roo...the roosters will fight among themselves over a hen... I had 3 to pick from when I decided on my rooster...they fought...but he is the nicest sweet fellow to his hens now...I have no problems with him unless one of the orp boys gets too close, I can't let them free range on the same days...

If you want I can show you a pic of my roo and hens...let me know...

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    #3 is George... He's the most protective/aggressive of the bunch, and has proclaimed himself King. He crowed first, and has developed a little faster than the others, though there's no way for me to know if they're all exactly the same age. He was originally my "replacement" for Sampson, but ever since I realized that I had FOUR roos, I've been looking at them all critically. I wish I'd gotten the book sooner. [​IMG]
    I do hope Tufoldhen will put in her $0.02. [​IMG]

Equibling, if you were closer, I'd GIVE you one (or three!) [​IMG] I have 11 pullets and 3 more roos that are almost 2 weeks old now... I ordered two roos before I realized how many I have now (so I get to do this again in a few months! [​IMG] ) and they send me an extra one free. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] I just can't win!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by