Need help designing free-range runs for several Roos w/ hens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nashonii, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Nashonii

Nashonii Songster 5 Years

I love this site...I've been learning soo much, and telling the other chickeners about it as well! As a little girls i wasn't allowed to 'play' with the baby chicks at my grandmothers farm, so I grew up, bought 2+ acres, and made my own farm!
    we add bees and chickens a yr. ago, and guineas to our small garden this year!
    But enough of my introduction.
    I have a situation. Since discovering all the wonderful breeds out there: I bought my second breed last night. The 2 copper Marans hens came with one VERY MALE rooster. I already have/ (had) one VERY happy male black Cornish Roo. And I have 6 Ameracana's, 2 of which I'm sure are young males.
    Problem: I would like to breed 100% Marans, Ameracana's and the Cornish has been the cock of the walk , and a wonderful and beautiful friend for a year now. (He has his own hens, too).
    Does anyone have any designs for free ranging all these males with their chicks in a way that won't take all morning/evening, opening and closing pens? My DH and I both work all day off the farm. So when we have time, it's spent gardening, or repairing. I'd like one or 2 doors/coops, to lead to certain fenced off areas, where they could all free range in enough space to have lots of bugs and room. Any good ideas? I can draw out our yard space if needed..front, back yard with house and pump house in between.
    your advice, and ideas are soo good. Thanks to the founders for this site!
    Diann AKA Nashonii

2. chfite

chfite Songster

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If a single coop, a large fenced area, split in half with one door from each side of the coop leading to the selected area. Or am I missing something?

Chris

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Separate coops and runs for breeding pairs or trios might be what you're after.
    A search for breeding pens might help give you some ideas:

advanced search>titles only> breeding pens

4. Nashonii

Chris, your not missing a thing. I like your thought. We are discussing adding on to the coop, and putting another door on the opposite side on the addition. This would work as you suggested. Thanks.

5. Nashonii

I'll check out the site. Thank you Aart.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    YW. That's actually a search for threads about breeding pens on this site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: