Need help determing sex of Dominique Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Stevenson, May 1, 2011.

1. Stevenson

Stevenson Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Southwest Indiana
    I posted this on the Dominique thread in the breeds section as well, but figured I would try the experts here as well [​IMG]

As I understand it, Dominiques can be sexed when they are a couple of days old. #1) Is this true? #2) Can you help me determine what I have here?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These 4 were hatched from eggs I received from ItsMyObsession - They are 4 days old.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html

This
    link is good for Barred Rocks, Cuckoo Marans and Dominiques and has very good photos.

Looks like a couple boys and maybe two girls. One has a sort of in-between head spot. It's not just the head spot, though, but the leg color. Males rarely have much dark down the leg fronts.

I'd say two of each right now, but these sexing rules are accurate about 90-95% of the time. The others make you guess longer. The males have a frosty head spot and look lighter in overall color.

3. Stevenson

Stevenson Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Southwest Indiana
    Thank you for the link and guesses. I checked out the feet and I think it's 2 boys and 2 girls now as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by