1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help determining breed of these chicks!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jb13, Apr 16, 2012.

1. jb13

jb13 New Egg

Apr 16, 2012
    I'd appreciate any experienced input on the breed of these chicks. We rescued them from a family that could not keep them due to their town's regulations. I'm a newbie, so I'm doing my best to self educate and it would help tremendously to know what breed I'm dealing with.

The only info I have is that they were purchased at a Tractor Supply store, supposedly have high egg productivity and will be smaller than RIRs when full grown. They have 5 toes and are a very light yellow with some very faint rusty-brownish markings around the neck (not sure how much you can see from pics). I'm estimating them to be about 2 weeks old now, but again, I'm guessing.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Let me know if any other questions need to be answered to help out in possible determination of breed.

Thank you in advance![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
  3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Silkies are hard to sex. You'll probably have to wait if the crow or lay an egg. Oops, I'm not awake.lol

Nice looking chicks btw.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    silkies

5. jb13

jb13 New Egg

Apr 16, 2012
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the expert input! Now a more focused education can continue...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by