Need help determining dosage

Duck_Duck_Goose

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
I have a young duck sick with a respiratory infection. I have Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim DS 800 mg / 160 mg tablets but not sure how to calculate the dose or how to best administer it. She weighs 630grams.

I must ask, what is the specific bacteria you are hoping to control with that antibiotic?
Or do you even know if it is a bacterial infection?

I have a young duck sick with a respiratory infection. I have Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim DS 800 mg / 160 mg tablets but not sure how to calculate the dose or how to best administer it. She weighs 630grams.
That's 1.38 pounds. I would give no more than 1/4 tablet a day for 10 days. Use a pill cutter to quarter the tablet. Give the 1/4 tablet orally. I dont recommend adding it to water, it is not soluble. The granules settle on the bottom of any type of container and may degrade effectiveness.

That's 1.38 pounds. I would give no more than 1/4 tablet a day for 10 days. Use a pill cutter to quarter the tablet. Give the 1/4 tablet orally. I dont recommend adding it to water, it is not soluble. The granules settle on the bottom of any type of container and may degrade effectiveness.
1/4 Tablet 1x/day or 1/8 2x/day?

Back
Top Bottom