1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Need help determining sex and breed of chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BrandiT23, Jul 28, 2013.

1. BrandiT23

BrandiT23 Hatching

Jun 12, 2013
    I have four chickens that I'm having trouble sexing.

Anna is about 12 weeks, but not sure what breed (maybe Orpington, but lighter than most I've seen). Her comb and wattles are also bigger and redder than the other chickens and she/he is very bold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peanut Butter is about 14 weeks. Not sure if she is a Production Red, Rhode Island Red, or Red Sex Link? What do you think her breed and sex are?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheddar is also 14 weeks and is probably the same breed as Peanut Butter (Red Sex Link, Production Red, Rhode Island Red?) Also not sure of the gender. This little booger wouldn't sit still so I couldn't get the whole chicken in one picture, but here's one of her head and one of her tail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pepper is the baby of the flock, about 10 weeks old. I believe he/she is a mutt because I can't even begin to guess what breed this chicken might be, but am very curious about the gender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me on the breeds and genders of my flock!!! Every time I try to figure it out, I just get more and more confused. :(

2. Perfect Polish

Perfect Polish Songster

May 29, 2013
    Band Life!
    The first one is an orpington i think. I think it is a pullet.

Second one is productin red i think and is a pullet

Last may be an EE? think its a pullet

3. BigECarter

BigECarter Songster

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Anna looks a lot like one of my orpington pullets. I think she's a pullet. I think Pepper is also a pullet, wyandotte mix. (New at chickens, so take this for what it's worth.)

4. daniel rainey

daniel rainey Chirping

Mar 9, 2013
    i think the top one or 1st one is a cock because if you look at its feet there are spurs coming on, and the large comb is a dead give away, i think the "nd one is a production brown for eggs and the 3rd one looks like some kind of red hybred but there are so many hybreds its hard to know what strain

5. BigECarter

BigECarter Songster

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I don't see the spurs? My chick's comb came in like that - red and large, within the last month. I think he/she is 16 weeks. I have a roo from the same hatch - he came as a roo, comb and all. He has a completely different body composition from the others - my husband says he has turkey legs. He looks a bit like a ball - no tail feathers yet. I might post pics and see what people say. The breeder did his best, but said there may be some roos in the bunch as they were hard to sex.

6. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    First looks like a cockerel
    Second and third are both red sex link pullets
    Last looks also to be a cockerel

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I also think the first is a cockerel, but pullets/hens can get spurs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by