Need Help Diagnosing Problem ...Injury or Disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nappi Goat Fred, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Nappi Goat Fred

Nappi Goat Fred New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    I have a 4 month old Speckled Sussex Rooster along with 16 other birds to include two more Sussex roosters . A week ago I notice this particular rooster not going in the cop at night as do the others . I would coax him in and let them free range all day . During the following week I kept my eye on him and I noticed that he's developed a limp and his comb is paler than it was before and there's diahrhea and feather loss in the tail area . Now he barely moves around at all except for to feed and water . All my birds are approximately the same age and at least 7 hens have begun to lay. I also notice that before he got in this condition he was the whipping boy for the other two roos. Am I panicking or is it a possibility he has contracted some type of disease or perhaps he's healing from a incident that I didn't witness ?

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Have you checked for lice and mites? Parasites can cause deconditioning like you describe, and death. Have your chickens been wormed? Internal parasites can cause these symptoms as well. Since he is 4 months old, you might also consider coccidiosis - does he or any of your other chickens have bloody poop?

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Are all the others the same age? It does sounds like this roo is getting the stuffing knocked out of him. If all the other roos are about the same age, then they are coming "of age" where they will start to exert their manly authority on "intruders" [the other roos] in their territory.

Separate the hurt roo, give him some electrolytes [pedialyte or diluted gatoraide] protiens; yogurt, mealworms, foods to give him a jump start AND lots of TLC. See how he does after a few days and keep us all posted.... [​IMG]

4. Nappi Goat Fred

Nappi Goat Fred New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    No to all RhodeIslandRedFan...I haven't noticed any bloody poop ,and I looked for lice and mites,but found none. I had no idea that My birds should be wormed ! Oh my goodness ! I thought I'd done all my homework ! And for the coccidiosis, I should quarintine him and then what ?

5. Nappi Goat Fred

Nappi Goat Fred New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    Thanks froggiesheins...I'm going out now to separate ...I'll keep You all posted . Thanks for the info ...

6. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Where do you live? Different parts of the country have different parasite problems. There are tons of chicken diseases [mostly respritory] but from what you have described there are no symptoms of anything like that. Mites/lice can cause what you describe but I lean towards roo fighting at this moment. To be on the safe side you can give all your chickens Frontline/Advanatge type spot on dog bug stuff. One drop either on the base of the tail or I like to do the base of the neck cuz they can't reach there to preen. Repeat once a month just like for dogs. Works well.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  7. Nappi Goat Fred

Nappi Goat Fred New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    @ froggiesheins..I'm in Central Alabama,and right now the weather is extremely hot during the day and most evenings we have torrential rain storms which makes for a very humid and moist atmosphere ,a breeding ground for everyrthing !!!. I believe I'm doing a good job of cleaning the coop,once a week, plenty of fresh water and there's plenty of space for all. But I guess anything can happen at anytime ,hunh? Did I mention they free range during most of the day in and around Our 5.5 acre farm all day ?

8. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    If there's no bloody poop I think you can eliminate coccidiosis. Since so many things cause similar symptoms it's sometimes hard to pin down the cause. Eliminate simple things first. I agree with treating for lice/mites and I also agree with froggiesheins' advice about separating your roo.

9. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Quote:Yup, you are right, you have every possible bug created by you. [​IMG] Lets see what tomorrow brings with yer roo.......[​IMG]

10. Nappi Goat Fred

Nappi Goat Fred New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    To all that offered info... My rooster has started to come around a great deal. That first day of separation really made a change in him . I believe he's gona make it . Thanks for all the helpful info. ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by