Need help diagnosing suddenly very weak 7.5 week old chicken

Suburban-nite

Songster
Apr 6, 2020
Here are the details:

1) Black Copper Maran, 7.5 weeks. Compared to the other chickens, she's the leader and biggest one of the flock.
2) Lethargic, can stand briefly, then slowly falls over, not making a lot of sounds, still chirping a little
3) Exhibiting symptoms for 24+ hours
4) No other birds exhibiting symptoms. All other birds are the same age. We purchased them together f
5) No bleeding, injury, broken bones, or other sign of trauma
6) I don't know what could have caused the situation. The day before, our chicken was very energetic, and even helping gobble up insects in the house.
7) She has been eating the same things as all the other chicks:
-- Nature's Best Organic Chick Starter/Grower Crumbles
-- Dumor Poultry Chick Grit
-- Raw vegetable/food scraps: corn, cherries, oranges, cauliflower, green beans, cantaloupe, watermelon
8) In the past 24 hours since she's been in quarantine, she has pooped. Not a lot though. A couple of small pea sized poos, and one large soggy-ish one. Can't tell if this one had water spilled on it or not.
9) So far, I fed her a boiled egg, probiotic water with electrolytes, watermelon, banana, orange. Chicken liked the boiled egg the most.
10) I am hoping to treat my chicken at home.
11) Prior to this incident, all the chickens were sleeping in their coop with coarse sand for bedding, and their run has crushed compressed gold fine bedding.
12) Not sure if it's related, but one of my chicks from the same flock has been rehabilitating from splayed legs. This other chick looks like she's about 1-2 weeks old.

What's wrong with my chicken? Can I treat this at home?

Attachments

• 20200702_153351.jpg
    20200702_153351.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200702_153402.jpg
    20200702_153402.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200702_154202.jpg
    20200702_154202.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 25
Raw vegetable/food scraps: corn, cherries, oranges, cauliflower, green beans, cantaloupe, watermelon

Raw green beans are poisonous, do not feed them to your chickens!

Cherries if ingested with the stone may cause problems due to the hydrocyanic acid that will be released when the stones are crushed by the grit working in the chickens gizzard.

So being the biggest and leader of the flock, he might have ingested much more of the raw and poisonous treats than the others.

First of all I would administer medicinal charcoal every 2-3 hours.

How does his crop feel, is it hard like a golf ball or rather soft an squishy?

Did you inspect your coop for mites?

When did you last de-worm your chickens?

Yikes! I had no idea. I will get rid of any if there's any left.

Chicken just had a large grey bowel movement, drank about 5 sips of water with probiotics, electrolytes, and is now eating more crumbles.

I don't see any mites in the coop or other chickens. The crop feels small, compact, and hard.

Attachments

• 20200702_162430.jpg
    20200702_162430.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 20
As he liked the egg, you might want to prepare scrambled eggs with oatmeal and mix it with medicinal charcoal. Banana is good, but I would cut out the orange.

Is he able to stand while eating and drinking?

Raw green beans are poisonous, do not feed them to your chickens!

Cherries if ingested with the stone may cause problems due to the hydrocyanic acid that will be released when the stones are crushed by the grit working in the chickens gizzard.

So being the biggest and leader of the flock, he might have ingested much more of the raw and poisonous treats than the others.

First of all I would administer medicinal charcoal every 2-3 hours.

How does his crop feel, is it hard like a golf ball or rather soft an squishy?

Did you inspect your coop for mites?

When did you last de-worm your chickens?
It's a she just to note.

Not sure s/he was laying on its side all day. After s/he had its big grey bowel movement, it went to the other side of the cage to eat sitting upright.

I don't have medicinal charcoal... Looking for a substitute that I may have in the house.

Is there any chance that bug spray (the stuff that gets sprayed along the perimeter of baseboards and outside has been used in your house? It could be residue causing poisoning - the other common thing is herbicides used in the garden reactivated after exposed to moisture (sprinklers or rain) …

Back
Top Bottom