Need help/diagnosis please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by keeversgirl, Jan 1, 2014.

1. keeversgirl

keeversgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    I am completely out of ideas and could really use all of your advice. I almost positive my chicken Snow White has coccidiosis. She is a feral chicken, that being said we tried albon on her, but she refused to hardly touch it and went nuts when we locked her up in a kennel and wouldn’t hardly eat or drink (she’s used to roaming free over 2-1/2 acres). Even when she was in a comfortable place she wouldn’t touch it, not that I can blame her a whole lot, I’ve heard it tastes awful. I did try flavoring the water with different yummy things, still nothing. I then tried giving her metronidazole, as that is what the vet gave one of my previous chicken for coccidia/giardia. The pills were 2 years expired so we upped the dose to make sure she got enough, for 10 days. It made no difference whatsoever. L Her symptoms are as follows: somewhat lethargic, running poop with blood and mucous, sometimes a pale comb. Is there ANY way this could be symptoms of gape worm? She does stretch her neck sometimes, and I know we have it on the property for sure (as well as giardia/coccidia). Does anyone have any advice or ideas? I’ll try holistic too! Thank you all so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Megan

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you thought of trying Corid (amprollium?) It gets more strains of coccidia and a packet is fairly inexpensive. The dose is 1 tsp per gallon of water (or 2 tsp/gallon of the liquid Corid.) I haven't heard of people complaining about the taste. With some of the antibiotics used, I have heard of some adding a little cranberry juice or liquid jello in place of some water to flavor it.

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    if you do hear of people complaining about the taste will you let me know? i wish to avoid people that drink chicken meds !!! [​IMG] im sorry eggcessive some times i just cant help myself.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Okay granny, I'll let you know. I thought you lived in KY--did you move?

5. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    My chicken likes sweeter food.
    They have some tastes as I see. The same as medicine.

Although I am interested in birds like pepper.
    That is spicy... I wonder why...

6. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    no, been here 7 yrs. i live at the ky, in, ohio border. tri-state. ky about 20 min. from me. was born there though

7. keeversgirl

Jul 31, 2009
    My sincere apologies!!! It was Amprolium, not Corid, but the Amprol brand.

8. keeversgirl

Jul 31, 2009
    I appreciate your humor Granny, but my chickens are my pets. Granted, this one showed up as a vagrant (long story) I could still use the help.

9. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    You could take some if her loop to the vet to run a fecal. They should be able to find cocci it worms.

10. ATMac1962

ATMac1962 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    The old medication should have worked, maybe she has something else. When I get a sick chicken I use Tylan 50 Injection. After just one injection (total 3) you should see a vast improvement in her health. I swear by it! Good Luck…

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by