Need help/diagnosis please!

keeversgirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 31, 2009
I am completely out of ideas and could really use all of your advice. I almost positive my chicken Snow White has coccidiosis. She is a feral chicken, that being said we tried albon on her, but she refused to hardly touch it and went nuts when we locked her up in a kennel and wouldn’t hardly eat or drink (she’s used to roaming free over 2-1/2 acres). Even when she was in a comfortable place she wouldn’t touch it, not that I can blame her a whole lot, I’ve heard it tastes awful. I did try flavoring the water with different yummy things, still nothing. I then tried giving her metronidazole, as that is what the vet gave one of my previous chicken for coccidia/giardia. The pills were 2 years expired so we upped the dose to make sure she got enough, for 10 days. It made no difference whatsoever. L Her symptoms are as follows: somewhat lethargic, running poop with blood and mucous, sometimes a pale comb. Is there ANY way this could be symptoms of gape worm? She does stretch her neck sometimes, and I know we have it on the property for sure (as well as giardia/coccidia). Does anyone have any advice or ideas? I’ll try holistic too! Thank you all so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Megan

Have you thought of trying Corid (amprollium?) It gets more strains of coccidia and a packet is fairly inexpensive. The dose is 1 tsp per gallon of water (or 2 tsp/gallon of the liquid Corid.) I haven't heard of people complaining about the taste. With some of the antibiotics used, I have heard of some adding a little cranberry juice or liquid jello in place of some water to flavor it.

if you do hear of people complaining about the taste will you let me know? i wish to avoid people that drink chicken meds !!!
lau.gif
im sorry eggcessive some times i just cant help myself.

My chicken likes sweeter food.
They have some tastes as I see. The same as medicine.

Although I am interested in birds like pepper.
That is spicy... I wonder why...

I appreciate your humor Granny, but my chickens are my pets. Granted, this one showed up as a vagrant (long story) I could still use the help.

The old medication should have worked, maybe she has something else. When I get a sick chicken I use Tylan 50 Injection. After just one injection (total 3) you should see a vast improvement in her health. I swear by it! Good Luck…

Back
Top Bottom