need help distinguishing chicks from one another

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jonandlaura, Jun 13, 2011.

1. jonandlaura

jonandlaura New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    hi there,
    new to the forum [​IMG] so let me know if someone has already asked but i can't seem to find anything that answers my question.
    we purchased day old chicks and they are now 2 weeks old. we have four different breeds and there are a few that we can't figure out which is which. the main issue is figuring out the buff plymouth rocks. we have four (out of 10) that are golden and small but then it is hard to figure out. we have golden tipped whyandottes and jersey giants. the giants we can pretty much tell now but some of the golden tips kinda seem like they might be buffs. so, do the male and female buff's look that different at this age? hope someone can give me some tips.
    thanks!
    laura

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    take some pic and post them if u cant yet be to being new email them to me [email protected] i help u out

3. jonandlaura

jonandlaura New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    thank you,
    here are the pictures...they're big!
    i can try to take more tonight if you need a better look at their backs. the little yellow one on the left is what i think is a buff. and the wing is an example of what we figure is a whyandotte. but we are missing 6 buffs somewhere. we have some that have brown stripes down their backs (kinda like a skunk but brown)
    i mean, i know they will sort themselves out when they are fully grown. just curious to know if the boys look different as chicks, or the girls. or if they should all be golden/yellow?
    let me know what you think. thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    brown are partridge do they have single combs white one look white rocks black are probly black austerlorps or black sex links

5. jonandlaura

jonandlaura New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    the black ones are jersey giants. and the ones that have the brown stripes are black with the brown stripe, sorry i should have mentioned the base colour there. the white ones are a generic plymouth rock meat bird, the name escapes me right now but those ones are huge and obviously not the buffs. and then there are golden tipped wyandottes and the buffs. i know the breeds just need to know if the buffs look different when they are chicks.
    thanks for your help

6. jonandlaura

jonandlaura New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    sorry, they are single combs as far as i know

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by