Need Help! Do I take the new chick out of the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Splashsilkies37, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Splashsilkies37

Splashsilkies37 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    I just had a chick born and it is knocking around all the other eggs...he/she is very active...I thought they slept? Anyways, do I take the chick out or let it run wild in the incubator knocking around the other eggs? Please let me know!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi! Just leave it in there, because it will be fine. They have their egg yolk to absorb, so they can stay in there for quite a while.....I believe it's two days. Might even be three.

The reason to leave it in there, is that you need those high humidity levels for good hatching, and if you open the incubator, that humidity escapes. And she'll be warm and get nice and fluffy!

Good luck with the rest of your hatch!

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    They usually do just fine in there for up to forty-eight hours, even when they're playing soccer with the other eggs, but if you do decide to take the chick out, go in the bathroom first, close the door, run a warm shower or bath until the bathroom gets all humid, and then bring the incubator into the bathroom (door still closed) and open it briefly to fish the chick out. That way you don't mess with the humidity for the other eggs that are hatching. Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  4. Splashsilkies37

Splashsilkies37 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    Thank you so much for the fast replies. I just didnt want him hurting the other eggs that are slightly pipped. I will leave him in there if you all feel that he would be better off, and ofcourse I dont want to comprimise the rest of the hatch. After all, he does need a friend! lol![​IMG]

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Good thinking! It is sooo hard not to open the incy.....I know. This is now the "lockdown phase", so you're right to just hang tight, and watch.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by