1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need HELP Down chickens!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wmroth, Jul 31, 2013.

1. wmroth

wmroth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2009
    I have 11 week old Wyandotte pullets that I hatched. I have 18 bird and I feed them grower finisher from TSC. They are in a new coop and run. I give them time to run in the grass, but I have hawks in the area so I watch them. Today I saw one of them having difficulty walking. I pick her up and she seems fine. I took her out for time in the grass and she just set there. I then let the other birds out. I watched them very closely. I then saw another bird having difficulty. What can I do? What information do you need to help me. I am sick!! They are my babies. Please help! Any suggestions will be welcomed.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Need more symptoms/information. Any discharge from eyes/nostrils,how is their poop,describe difficulty walking(legs paralyzed)?

3. becklinn77

becklinn77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Oologah, OK
    I know its sometimes hard to describe symptoms you've never seen before. I would take a video and post it here so that some of these great experienced folks can see what you're seeing.

Other symptoms can be very helpful. Are they eating normally? Drinking enough? Abnormal poop? Anything else strange in their behavior or appearance?

If it was me I would separate the birds who are showing symptoms. If it's contagious you don't want it to spread to your entire flock.

4. wmroth

Jul 23, 2009
    Need more symptoms/information. Any discharge from eyes/nostrils,how is their poop,describe difficulty walking(legs paralyzed)?

They just want to sit. If the walk it is not upright. They sometime use their wings to balance. They look good. No discharge from eyes/nostrils. I have not seen any poop. (let you know when I see it). I checked their legs and they seem fine.

5. FandangoRanch

FandangoRanch Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2013
    I am no expert but I would not rule out botulism and that needs to be treated quickly. I am dealing with it and learning. The toxin needs to be flushed out to prevent further neurological damage. It starts in the legs, typically the right leg and progresses to the wings and then to the cervical neck and respiratory system. Recovery is a very slow process at best. I will post more info on flushing if I can find it, in case you think this might be the problem. Best of luck!

6. wmroth

Jul 23, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have separated them from the flock. They do not seem to be eating or drinking.

7. FandangoRanch

May 14, 2013
    wmroth, this site is quite informative http://www.avianweb.com/botulism.html My bird would not eat or drink on her own for quite some time. In fact I had to use a spoon to feed her wet medicated chick starter with apple cider vinegar, yoghurt and poultry vitamins. She has progressed to eating the same, as well as cooked egg yolk, from a dish held in front of her. The main thing is to get water (with acv) into them by dropper or syringe to the beak if dipping the beak does not work. They will need that to help flush out the toxin as well as to prevent dehydration.

8. FandangoRanch

May 14, 2013
  9. wmroth

Jul 23, 2009
    more symptoms The babies are very weak. They just lay around. I did get them to eat a little crumble, but they do not want to move. If I get to near to them they will get up and move away. Walking but still look like their drunk.

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

At this age, especially if recently being moved out to the coop, coccidiosis is a very common issue. I'd treat them all with Corid asap, as in NOW! There are other things this could be but that is probably the most likely cause of the symptoms you are describing. I would at least run the course of treatment, you just may save them if that's what it is. If that's not it then at least you've ruled it out. The problem with cocci is that you do not have time on your side to mess around trying this or that. It will kill them and fast. Your best bet is to treat for it and move on from there. For those that are showing obvious signs of illness, give them the medicated water by hand. Use an eye dropper or needless syringe and carefully dribble it in the beaks every hour or so. Corid works fast, if this is cocci you will see improvement in a day or so but be sure to complete the full 5 to 7 day treatment. You may still loose some if it has progressed to far. Also do not rely on whether or not you see blood in the poop, you will not always see it, sometimes only when it's very advanced, sometimes not at all. Good luck, hope you get them sorted out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by